The Escape: Chapter Eight

The deep red sun had dipped below the horizon when they began their search. Their trumpets blasted through the night air, announcing the urgency of their action. At the king's command, the knight spread out to search for the missing princess.

King Agnarr separated his men into four groups, each combing a different area. The knights who had served the longest spread north of the kingdom, braving the myths of dragons. Others were deployed to the south, the western forest, and to the surrounding village. No one ventured east toward the exiled lands, a mysterious, abandoned place beyond the Blue Mountains. When people went there, they never came back. 

All the weariness from the tournament disappeared under the adrenaline. The castle rang with action. Their armour clanked as they ran over the cobblestones, and their swords jingled as they jumped on their horses. Jack carefully tied his shield onto the side of his horse as he led a group down to the surrounding village. 

On his way to the village, Jack stole one quick glance to the east. The mountains shimmered in the last rays of the sunset. The reds had faded, almost disappearing into a sheet of twilight blue and grey fog that settled over the horizon. His horse pulled him forward. One last look and Jack turned to face the village, hearing the king's words echo in his mind. He intended to prove himself worthy and find her. 

For hours, confusion rang through the air. Knights tromped through the village, searching houses and barns. The air filled with the stomping hooves and cries of the princess's name. Doors opened and closed to no avail. People looked out from their shuttered windows, concerned and curious.

After house after house, Jack pounded on the door His desperation grew. No one knew where she was. He had given up hope by the time he approached the last house in the village.

The other knights had finished their search and regrouped near the tournament grounds. He saw blue banners hanging from the sides of their horses. They hadn't found any information either.

He approached the last house on the street and peeked through the window when no one answered his knocks. A candle flickered in the windowsills, assuring him someone was home. 

Cupping his hands against the dusted glass, he saw a family sitting around a table, leaning close in conversation. Out of the corner of his eyes, when he turned back to knock again, something grabbed his attention. He took a closer look, and his anger burned.

Jack didn't stop to knock; he broke down the door.

"Where is she?" He demanded, pointing his sword at the man standing behind the table.

The family look up, quiet and pale at the intrusion. The father moved forward, knocking the chair behind him. His wife pulled the item of the table and dropped it into her lap.

"What are you doing here?" The man asked. He stood with his arms folded across his chest, a deep scowl on his face.

Jack faltered for a moment, then stood upright. He was the knight champion. He had every right to be there.

"Princess Elsa," he demanded. "What have you done with her?"

The man paled and glanced back at his family.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said, moving closer to where Jack stood. "We don't know where the princess is. Now, please leave."

Jack stood his ground but lowered his sword. "Sir, I am sorry for intruding, but I saw her gown on the table." He pointed to the man's wife and daughter, who were huddled together, shaking. "I looked through your window, and you were all sitting around Princess Elsa's dress. Now, where is she?"