Chapter 29

U woke up in the morning and absentmindedly wiped the tears from your cheeks. It was today. As you rolled over in the small bed, u tried to find Thomas' arm or something to hold onto, but his space was completely empty and cold. U sat up with a start, breathing heavily and searching frantically for Thomas. When u heard coughing in the bathroom, u sprinted to the door and banged on it with all your might.
"Thomas!!! Are u in there? Please, let me in!"
U heard more coughing through the door... And then the sound of vomit.
You waited patiently outside the door until Thomas opened it- green faced and miserable as hell.
"Oh baby. It's ok. Come here." U held him tightly in your arms as he swayed on his feet. Then, you gently guided him to the sofa and sat him down.
"Oh y/n," he sighed sadly, "I wished I could be enough. I wanted to be the boyfriend u deserved- but look at me. Suicidal, crazy, weak and now with a life threatening disease! Why the fuck are u still here?! I disgust myself!!"
"Thomas- stop. I won't do this again. Look this is just a minor thing, but it's not something we can't get through! For gods sake I was raped by a drug dealer but does it change the way u see me? "
Sobbing, Thomas shook his head and squeezed ur hand. "I'm sorry. I wish I could just say sorry enough."
"U don't have to. All u have to do for me is promise you'll fight this thing, ok?"
"I promise y/n. I promise."
U held each other like that for god knows how long.

*AT THE HOSPITAL*

They wheeled Thomas in in the pyjamas you dressed him in. He wasn't under any drugs yet so he still looked terrified as he clutched your hand and held it to his lips. U talked to him all the way, ignoring the protests of the main doctor to be quiet when walking through the hospital ward. U just shot him a dirty look and that shut him up.

Holly walked alongside you as Dylan was busy talking to one of the nurses. However, as soon as u got to the operating theatre, Holly shot off to find him.

You were allowed in the theatre with Thomas during the drugs, but u were told you had to leave during the surgery as u would be a "distraction"

U stood 15 minutes later in theatre, quietly crying and kissing Thomas on the cheek as he was injected. At first he winced and inhaled sharply at the pain of the needle, but soon his face started to relax. However, just before he went out, he let out the quietest murmur alongside a single tear. "Don't let this be it, y/n"

U were bustled out of the theatre within the next 5 seconds, pausing only long enough to see the doctor grabbing a shiny steel scalpel from his collection of tools.

That sight was most definitely not what u wanted to see before u left Thomas for 7 hours. Holly, Dylan and Charlotte were all there waiting for u as you walked to the waiting area, and u remained inconsolable for an hour as they all struggled to work out exactly what had made you so hysterical. U howled with pain as that scalpel whirled around ur mind and taunted u with its significance to Thomas and whether he was going to walk out of here again.

Some hours later, you looked up from the magazine you weren't reading to see Mr Jankowski- the stranger who comforted u the other day being wheeled through the ward with an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. He was unconscious, and 3 doctors huddled around him as they jogged to theatre. The sight of that poor man alone like that with no one waiting for him started u up again. The tears leaked out of your eyes and no amount of Charlotte passing u tissues, holly squeezing your hand or Dylan patting ur back could stop them.

Finally, after what seemed like years, a small nurse in a neat white dress walked promptly up to u with a clipboard."Miss y/n? We have completed the operation on Mr Sangster. It has gone well, better than we expected, but we can't be completely certain right now that Thomas will be able to feel his legs."

END OF CHAPTER!