Chapter 9

I WON'T UPDATE AGAIN UNTIL THIS STORY HAS AT LEAST TWO VOTES PER CHAPTER, SO PLEASE VOTE :) 

***************************

“So what’s the verdict?” I asked him.  “The verdict? Of what?” He responded. “Is your girl happy?” I asked. “Her? Yeah, she’ll be fine. I may or may not spend more time with you than her and I may or may not be closer to you than her, but it’s not my fault.” “Nate,” I began, “Please explain to me how it’s not your fault?” “Well...I…have nothing.” He admitted. “I knew it! I know you love me and all, but seriously, you need to go spend time with her or she’ll think you’re cheating on her or something.” “Finnnneeee. Have it your way. Hey, i’ve gotta go, she’s calling me on the other line. Talk to you later?” “Always!” I replied. I pressed the ‘End Call’ button on my phone and sat down on my bed. I was scrolling through Instagram and all the endless selfies that people post when I randomly got a text from an unknown number. It said “I’m not jealous, but what’s mine is mine. End of story.” I stifled a laugh and knew exactly who the text was from. I didn’t reply but I know that I should probably start to back off of Nate a little bit if I want  her to leave me alone. I sent Nate a quick text  saying “We need to talk, kay?” He responded with a simple “kay” and I drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

************

“Amberrrr wakkeeee uppppp.” I felt someone pushing me awake and it took me a while to realize who it was. “Nate?” “Yeah, you said we needed to talk, so here I am.” “Not this early in the morning, dumbo.” “Sorry, but I’m here now so what do you want to talk about?” He asked. Now, this is the hard part. Either it could go well, or it could go terrible, there’s not an in between stage and the odds aren’t in my favor. I sat up and faced him. He was goofily smiling with his hair all messed up. He was sitting in my chair like a child would be and his gorgeous eyes were looking at me waiting for me to talk. “Okay, I got a text from Kat last night and I’ve thought about it and I’ve come to a conclusion.” I started out. “The text basically told me to back off of you because you’re ‘hers’ and bull like that. I don’t want to get in between you and her at all, and It’s going to be better for you in  the long run of things. Nate, I can’t be your best friend anymore let alone your friend. I just want to steer clear of drama and pushing you away does that for me. I’m sorry. I know I sound selfish and conceited and I don’t really care. I don’t want to get in the way of your relationship because you know what? I like you a whole lot more than a friend and I bought all of those kisses on the cheek and those sweet things you always said. I bought them, and knowing that she wasn’t happy about that made me come to realize that it’s all wrong. It’s so amazingly wrong. I also know that you would choose her over me any day and I just can’t do it anymore. It’s what’s best for you and I know it. I love you, I really do, and i’m doing this because I love you. ” I finished. I don’t look at him and I have a very new interest in counting my toes. My chest is clenched up inside of me and I feel like I could cry, but the tears aren’t coming at all. I’ve never really had to dump someone, but if this is what it feels like, then I’m glad. It’s not Nate at all, it’s my feelings and the fact that he has a girlfriend. I guess Kat just opened my eyes for me and I realize now that we’ve been too close. “I’m sorry.” He said. “Can I at least get a goodbye hug before I’m kicked out of this place?” He asked me in a cracking voice. “Yeah, one hug.” He walked up to me, and I found myself wrapping my arms tight around his biceps. He leaned in, kissed me on the cheek, and then he walked out of my bedroom for the last time. I closed my door behind him and slid down it. The tears now were freely falling down my face and I couldn’t stop them. I can feel my heart tearing itself apart piece by piece. I know he didn’t die or anything and I know I could of prevented this from happening, but it just had to do it. Kat is like the captain of the track team, I don’t want her spreading rumours about me being a “boyfriend stealer” or junk like that. I feel drained. I feel like I can’t live with myself anymore. I know I’ve caused myself a thousand times more pain for myself than for him. Nate can go around with his girlfriend and leave me in the dust, I can watch him be happy and I know I’ll crumble even more. I’m too upset to move, so I stay by my door. I turn my phone off to avoid any texts from either of them. I slightly lay down and cry by my door, knowing that I won’t be the same again. “Amber? Do you want any dinner?” I heard my mom call. “No, I’m not feeling very well so I think I’ll have to pass!” I yelled back to her. “Feel better soon, okay?” “Alright, mom!” I yelled back to her. I’m too upset to do anything, let alone eat. I picked up my phone, and threw it into the wall, watching the screen crack in a million different pieces. Feeling better, I crawled slowly into my bed and fell asleep. My dreams filled with Nate’s face everywhere.

*****************************************

I saw rays of sunlight poking their way into my room as I was waking up. “Why is my phone cracked?” I asked myself. Oh right. Last night. Nate. I remembered the events of everything and the tears started to find themselves to my eyes again. I’ve never been “heartbroken” but i’m pretty sure this is what it feels like. My tangled auburn hair is a frizzy mess and my makeup is completely smeared everywhere. ‘Zombie’ is probably the word you would use to describe me right now. I don’t really care about anything anymore, the tears are still falling down my face as I remember Nate’s face when I told him that I couldn’t have him in my life. He looked like he didn’t care. What’s he sorry for? That’s all he could say? ‘i’m sorry’? Well, sorry isn’t going to cut it. Break up with the control freak and then maybe we’ll talk. Or not. I’m so stupid, he needs to be happy. I want what’s best for him, not what’s worst for him. All of this is my fault and I regret it. The pain will go away one day, and I’ll feel better eventually, but right now i’m going to stay laying in my bed, crying my heart out, and listening to music on my broken phone. I realize my phone resembles this whole situation. I purposely through my phone into the wall, and now it’s broken. I got myself into the mess i’m in now, and I’m broken. How poetic of me. How poetic.

***************************

SORRY FOR THE SAD CHAPTER, IT HAD TO HAPPEN THOUGH. DON'T STOP READING THOUGH, IT WILL GET BETTER. IT ALWAYS DOES. HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE READ ALLEGIANT? I FINISHED IT THIS WEEKEND. IT WAS SADDER THAN THE FAULT IN OUR STARS...ANYWAY, THANKS FOR READING! AND REMEMBER TO VOTEEEEEEEE. 

PLEASE. 

VOTE. 

BECAUSE YOU LOVE ME, RIGHT? 

I KNOW YOU DO, THANKS FOR RESPONDING!

SOOO VOTE:)