Chapter 7 (Stefan): Who Am I...Really?

A/N: This will be a long chapter.

~ ~ ~

"Stephanie," Tiffany said. "Stephanie Hwang MiYoung"

It caught me by surprise. I mean, I did not even know what 'stage name' meant, nor for the fact that Tiffany was Korean! Hell, it was also my first time hearing about SNSD.

However, it sort of left me thinking. Tiffany must think I am important to her. Honestly, I felt that way too. After finding out her real name, the back of my mind was bugging at me. It was as if I heard her name from somewhere before.

And, according to Tiffany, when we first met earlier, I was talking in fluent Korean to her. But how could I have done that if I had no prior knowledge of Korean and Korea itself. At least, that was what I thought.

"Tiff...um can I call you that?" I asked her.

"People back at home call me 'Fany', but that's fine too," she spoke as brightly as she could.

Fany...that was even more familiar. I guess I should settle with that name.

"Ok, I have absolutely no idea what has been going on for the last hour or so," I admitted, "but I need to dig deeper into the situation. At least my parents can..."

"NO! Absolutely none of this must be told to them!" Fany blurted out desperately.

"Why not?"

Fany suddenly rumaged through one of her suitcases. Eventually, she pulled out something: an envelope  which was already opened. She took out the letter and asked me to read it.

"I assure you," she said, "you can find your answers here. We may not know each other very well yet, but  my guess is..."

I did not wait for her to finish. I took the letter from her and began to read it. Unfortunately, it was all in Korean. Oddly enough, I could pick out some Korean phrases here and there...

Fany just smirked at my struggles. Eventually she helped read out the letter to me.

 (Letter)

My dear daughter Stephanie (Tiffany),

I know we have not been close these years with your singing career and all, but I feel that it was about time I told you this now that SNSD isn't really doing any promotions for new songs.

You see, before your mother passed away, we wanted to tell you that you actually had another sibling, a younger brother. We had him about 5 years after you.

However, just before his 1st birthday, while we were back in Korea visiting relatives, your brother got cruelly kidnapped from us by a stranger. We did not know who snatched him, because the kidnapper was to swift and we had let our guard down.

So, I apologise, and on behalf of your mother, that we were such irresponsible parents at that point.

We made a police report, but they could not trace the whereabouts of him.

Your mother cried for days and nights before accepting the fact that he could not be found. She still hoped that he could be found.

You probably don't know about this because you were too young then. We kept a low profile for a long time.

I guess I might as well tell you everything else. You know how I was reluctant of you joining SM Entertainment at first? There was a reason for that too.

When they spotted and suggested you joined them, I felt that it was dangerous as the kidnapper could target you more easily. However, your hopeful mother insisted you should join because she felt that if you become famous, and with the support of fans from all over the world, you will not only be safe, but also get everyone to help you find your brother.

It sounded like a great idea to her, so we let you join SM.

It has paid off so far, your hard work together with the others in SNSD has made you guys internationally famous amongst millions of fans. There's your support.

Two years ago though, the authorities did make a discovery. They seemed to have traced your brother's last known location, which is in Singapore.

We were ready to tell you about him, but then your mother fell ill. It was not the right time. After she passed away, SNSD was continuing with promotions, so it had to wait again.

I'm really sorry for not telling you about this until now, but I hope that now you can help find your brother together with me. Check your email by the way, I sent you some important info.

Hope to see you again soon,

Dad.

P.S. Your brother's name is found in yours. I can only give you this clue just in case the kidnapper finds out about this letter. Do not show this to anyone.

(Letter End)

I froze after Fany finished reading the letter. She already had tears in her eyes and had been sobbing while reading.

Firstly, I felt shocked at the crime made by this kidnapper. I mean kidnapping the sibling of a world famous singer of a world famous group. Next thing you know, he'll ask for a ransom, supposing he knows about Fany.

Secondly, I could only feel even more pity for Fany. Sure, she is half-Korean and my parents detest Koreans, but the fact that she is searching so hard for her twin brother was really something. Even to the extent of lying to her fellow members (whom I also don't know).

Perhaps that's why she was in Singapore, to find her brother, I thought.

Her father's clue in the P.S. struck me though. If it was in her name, it can't be...

"I thought you knew, now that you told me your name and all Stefan," Fany interrupted my thoughts.

Each time Fany says my name, it only brings me closer to the fact that I was probably her missing brother. But I have always been raised in Singapore, at least that's what I thought.

On the other hand, I did not know what my forename was. My parents also claim not to have forenames themselves in order to reassure me. I doubt it.

Then, I realised the situation we were in now.

"Fany!" I spoke after some awkward silence, "Since you are in Singapore, why not we ask the police about your brother then? I might as well confirm my family history too. What do you think?"

~ ~ ~

A/N: So the letter is revealed here. The next chapter will be shorter, don't worry.