Chapter 3 (Stefan): Always Wondering

A/N: Chapter originally posted on December 3rd 2013.

~ ~ ~

Have you ever felt like your life could have been better?

Sometimes, I wonder how different my life would have been if something happened before. I cannot really explain it sometimes. Yet I, Stefan, can only see this as just fantasy. Because the way my life is now is practically reality.

You see, I am an only child. Therefore, I always had all my parents' attention twenty-four seven. Ok, I'll rephrase that: too much attention. I know I will turn eighteen next year, but I am still being treated like I am ten years younger than that.

Basically, my parents are so free that they escort me wherever I go, including to my classroom in school. It's really embarrassing, seriously. I hate it whenever my classmates tease me about it, always making references to me still being a 'baby' or a 'scardey-cat'...yeah you get the point.

This had an impact on my social life. I never went out with friends, because they think I am weird and also because my parents didn't allow me to all the time. I had lost friends due to this, which was not fun.

I wasn't even allowed to get involved in school in any way, especially in my favourite interest: singing. My parents made me wear glasses to single me out, even though I have perfect eyesight. Essentially, I was to remain as unknown as I possibly could. Sad life right?

It would make sense if I could study hard and produce good grades. Unfortunately, I was only producing average grades on most occasions, something my parents were displeased about.

And there's another thing about them; they absolutely hated anything related to South Korea. If it was the other half of the country, I would totally understand. But why the South?

Not even my school teachers said anything hateful about that country. In fact there was one point I told my parents what I found out about South Korean culture from a teacher, and they literally went up to him and insisted none of that was mentioned anymore.

Seriously, did they have to?

Well, they are Singaporean parents with a huge age gap between myself and them. But why to the extreme of hating Korea? Heck, they even grounded me for even getting a snippet of Korean trivia!

Anyways, I was pondering in my room this evening after a day of uneventful homework progress. It was a cool, peaceful night out of my window. Yet I could only just shed tears, because there is no one here to share the atmosphere of the night with me.

Mom, Dad, let me go out and be myself for once...

As I sank slowly into my bed, I held my hands firmly and silently prayed. I never usually sought prayer as a solution to my troubles. However, I had a feeling that things were going to chance for the better, at long last...

~ ~ ~

A/N: So the new character is revealed here.

(Updated on 28/8/2015)

Changed a few elements of this chapter. Keep voting it for #Wattys2015 and #MyWattysChoice on Twitter!