The One That Survived [Naruto Fanfic] Chapter 8

~Chapter 8~

“Kakashi….” I muttered, glancing towards the ice mirrors as I felt the manifesting of the fox’s chakra.

But Kakashi was too busy mumbling to himself. “Has the binding spell begun to unravel? Is the seal broken?”

“It’s slipping through.” I muttered to myself, ignoring the spoons mumblings.

Kakashi wiped his blood across a scroll, proclaiming winner take all in one last big move. But I was hardly paying attention. I was biting my thumb causing blood to drip down from the force as I focused on the fight Naruto was giving. I blinked as he punch Haku, sending him through the mirrors. Naruto went to punch him again in the face but he stopped as soon as the mask Haku was wearing dropped. What the hell?

I sighed in relief nonetheless as I felt the fox’s chakra leave and licked the blood off my thumb, watching as it healed instantly and hurriedly pulled out another cigarette, closing my right eye under the eye patch. My power from it receded and I zoned out until my cigarette was gone. I even ignored Kakashi’s Lightning Blade. I had simply nodded for Tazuna and Sakura to head over to Sasuke. I sighed as I felt the people that had finally approached the bridge speak up. It was some short dud who taped his cane on the ground.

“Well, he’s certainly made a fine mess out of you! What a pity….” Gatô….

“Gatô….what are you….doing here? And….why….did you….bring….all of them?!”

“Hehe-there’s been a slight change of plan, Zabuza. Or of your plans, anyway. This was what I had in mind all along. You’re going to die, ‘demon’….here and now.”

“What?”

“You must have guessed. I never intended to pay you. It’s such a bother hiring a skilled shinobi affiliated with one of the top villages. It’s expensive….and they tend to have friends who object when I betray and kill them. It’s so much simpler to hire ukenin-renegades-like yourself. No one cares what I do to your kind once the job is done. All of you ninja are so eager to fight each other. Once you’ve worn each other down, common thugs can finish off the rest. It’s a great business plan-efficient and inexpensive. My only mistake was hiring you in the first place. Calling yourself the Demon of Kirigakure is just plain false advertising! Hehe….you’re no demon….more like a baby demon, if that.” The thugs started laughing as Zabuza glared. I glared with him. Zaza used to be a good friend of mine. He knew I’d kick his ass though.

“The shape you’re in, we’ll take you down without even breaking a sweat!”

I smirked. “I wanna kill ‘em.” Zaza glanced towards me and I smirked. He shook his head in slight amusement.

“Forgive me….Kakashi….our fight is over,” Zabuza said, glancing over at Kakashi, “I no longer have any reason to want to assassinate Tazuna….which settles our differences.”

“Yeah….”

“Huh?” Naruto asked.

“You’re right.”

“Oh and it was nice to see you, Hokori.”

“Still as sexy as ever, even with both arms fucked up. Huh, Zaza?” I smirked over at him and his eye twitched as my team anime fell. Well, the ones that were near me anyway. So, Naruto and Kakashi.

“….that reminds me….” Gatô muttered, walking forward and I scowled.

“I still have a score to settle.” Gatô said, stopping beside Haku’s corpse and I growled as he poked his face with his shoe. Then he kicked him, saying: “Hah. Dead meat. Carrion.”