ESCAPE

I panted shallowly after another beating from Prudence. I don’t know how much longer I can take it. I hurt. I'm hungry. I want to move. I want to get out of here. I hate this Goddamn fucking place! I'm always chained to the bed! It feels like an eternity since I have been outside. I must be so pale.     

        The door slowly creaked open as I squeezed my eyes shut. Please… Fuck… Not another beating. Not so soon after the first one. Haven’t I been through enough?  "Are you okay?" A scared voice squeaked. I opened my eyes to see young Jasper at the end of the bed. "No," I whispered, looking away. "U-um, I brought you food and- um. Prudence is out for a while.  So-"

      My gaze slowly shifted over to him. He was scared. He seemed just as scared of me as I was of Prudence. "Thank you," I whispered. Jasper gave a weak smile and cautiously sat next to me on the bed, holding a sandwich close to my mouth. I took a bite of what I think is peanut butter and jelly. Jasper tries to get me a meal at least once or twice a week while Prudence barely feeds me anything but bread or cold soup. I took another bite of the sandwich. Very few words go between Jasper and I when we see each other. I don't blame him. He still remembers when I raped him.

   I cringed. I feel so bad about that. No. Bad doesn't even describe the feeling I have about it. I basically horrified the kid who is being kind to me in this Hell. I think the only reason he’s doing this is because he feels sorry for me and doesn’t have the confidence to tell his cousin, Prudence, to stop. At least that’s what I think of it as being.     
        After the sandwich, Jasper gave me a few sips of water until I finished that as well. He started to leave. "Jasper wait!" I groaned. Jasper flinched, but turned to look at me. I cleared my throat, "I'm sorry- I know you probably don't believe me, but I needed to tell you before Prudence kills me." Jasper’s face changed from fear to a look of shock. "Look," I sighed, "the person I am today would never hurt you.  I'd take it all back if I could. I was trained to act like I did. Being raised in a gang wasn't easy for me. I did everything to gain their acceptance. I even hurt you.” Tears welled up in Jasper’s eyes. “It was stupid,” I continued, “and I probably deserve to die for what I did to you, but I just needed you to know that I hate what I did to you. I'm so sorry, Jasper and I just needed you to know that." Jasper stared at me for a moment then ran out of the room, not even bothering to close the door. I closed my eyes and sighed miserably, feeling rejected. Maybe if I did die, it would make all of us happy.        
        Jasper ran back into the room and started to unchain me. "What are you doing?" I asked. Jasper gulped, but with every determination in the world he unchained my hands and backed away. I slowly sat up. I haven’t moved in so long. Every part of my body was aching. I grunted, "Why did you do that?"         
        "Leave," he gasped. My mouth dropped, "what?" Jasper slipped off his hoodie and threw it at me as I caught it. "Put it on and go away!"        
        "Why are you doing this?" I asked as I slipped the hoodie over my head. "My cousin is a good guy," Jasper mumbled, "he doesn't deserve to go to jail because of you!" I snickered, "yeah. He's awesome as he hits me and causes me to pass out multiple times!" Jasper avoided my gaze. I sighed, "Either way, Jasper. Thank you." I jumped off the bed and roughly opened the window. "Why don't you go out the front door?" Jasper asked.      
        "I don't think Prudence would like the idea of you helping me escape." He nodded, "okay."

     I don’t know how innocent Prudence thinks his little cousin is. I wonder if he would consider the thought of Jasper helping me escape like this. With that thought in mind, I jumped on the tree outside and climbed down. “Jeez,” I grumbled. My joints were moving like rotting floor boards. I most likely look like something from a horror movie. I smirked. What the Hell, I did just come from a horror movie.

   Head lights from a car streamed by making duck low behind the tree. It was Prudence. My heart dropped as fear set into place. Prudence stepped out of his car and brushed a hand through his hair stressfully. He seemed really attractive, now that I look at him. Wait! What!? No Seth! Don't think that! I pinched my cheek and pulled it. I can’t think of him that way! I need to focus!

   As Prudence walked in, I waited a couple seconds then ran! 1… 2...3…  NOW!!! I ran as fast as I could! I didn't care where I was going! As long as it was away from here! I didn’t think. I ran!