ENEMIES

I sputtered and coughed water as my lungs were desperate for air. "Good!" Jasper laughed, "Just take deep breaths." I leaned against him weakly, trying to catch my breath. "You alright, Seth?" He asked, concerned. "I'm…Fine…" I croaked.  I peered up and saw Prudence towering over me, his arms crossed. I whimpered and backed away, my eyes wide. "Seth stop! It’s okay!" Jasper comforted, holding me tight. "He tried to kill me," I wept. "I know," Jasper whispered in my ear, "I know..."        

        "You tried to hurt my cousin once again you piece of filth!"        
        "Prudence! Not right now." Prudence had a look of disbelief. "Not right now? Jasper, this monster tried to hurt you again!"        
        "It was because of you!" Jasper snapped. Prudence crouched to our level, making me press my body further against Jasper. "This fucker that you are trying to protect,” he paused, “ why do you want to help him so badly? He keeps hurting you!" Jasper nodded as he pressed his face in my wet hair. "I know," he mumbled, avoiding eye contact. "Then why?" Prudence groaned, trying to understand. "Cause he made a mistake, Prudence! I really feel like he wants to change but…”

“But what?”

 “But you keep scaring him to death! I'm the friend he never had while you're still trying to take revenge! Why can't we help him be better, rather than cause him even more pain?" Jasper said, sounding desperate. He talked as if I wasn't there.  I peered up at Jasper. His eyes were squeezed shut with tears likely to fall from his eyes. I reached up and touched his cheek. Jasper sniffled and stared down at me. "I-I'm sorry.” I whispered. My eyes shifted towards Prudence. "I'm sorry," I choked. He didn’t even care to glance in my direction because of how focused he was on Jasper.        
        "What if he can't change?"        
        "What?" Jasper asked, startled. "He's sorry now. He admits he's a monster now, but what about later? What if he decides to hurt you like he did when you were twelve?" Jasper flinched and looked away. "What will you do then, Jasper? Just let me finish him. Stop saving the poor bastard-"        
        "No!" Jasper cried, holding me close. My hand moved in through his silky hair. "I-I want something good to come out of this, Prudence. I want something good.”        
        "Jasper," I whispered. He peered down at me. "I won't let him kill you," Jasper smiled.         
        Prudence moved a little closer, causing me to freeze. "P-Prudence?" He disgusted eyes peered down to me. I gulped roughly before continuing. "If I ever hurt Jasper in any way, you get rid of me yourself okay? Just please…  Please don't… No more hurting me? I'm begging you." I cried silently, allowing tears to pour from my eyes. Prudence grabbed my leg and squeezed deeply; digging in the nails I didn't know he had. I bit my lip, holding in my pain. "Prudence let go!" Jasper cried out, but Prudence just waved off his comment and glared into my eyes. "You listen to me and you listen well," he growled. "Lay one finger on my cousin ever again and you'll think the beatings I gave you were mercy!" I nodded vigorously, "I understand!" He let go and looked up at Jasper. "You need sleep. You look like Hell." Jasper shook his head, "I'm not leaving you alone with him again!"         
        "So you rather I kill him?" Jasper's jaw dropped, "n-no!" Prudence smiled, "then go to bed. I think I learned my own lesson when you threw things at me to get out of my own house." Jasper wiped away tears. "Don't you hurt him," he warned. Prudence rolled his eyes and sighed. "I won't." He smiled weakly and stood up, taking my hand to pull me up with him. My legs were weak and heavy. I couldn't move them. "What's wrong?" Jasper asked. I looked away embarrassed, "I can't stand up."        
        "Oh."        
        "I have him," Prudence groaned, slipping his hands under my legs and behind my torso. I shuttered at his touched. "Stop shivering," he ordered. I nodded and squeezed my eyes shut. "You be careful with him!" Jasper warned. Prudence smirked, a bit annoyed, but nodded. They walked into the house as I dripped all along the way up to my room. Jasper went to his room, but instead of shutting the door all the way, he kept it cracked open a little. I clung to Prudence, mentally begging him not to "accidentally" drop me. He stepped inside my room and laid me carefully on the bed. He walked out for a minute, but came in later with a dry pair of pajamas. "Put them on," he ordered, leaning on the doorway and folding his arms. I sat up and took a hold of the clothes. "Y-you're not going to give me any privacy, are you?" I asked, bleakly. He shook his head. "I'm keeping an eye on you 24/7 until I feel it is safe enough to leave you alone." That will never happen. I nodded sadly and turned around so Prudence wouldn't see “it."         
        For some odd reason, I could feel him smirking as he watched me. It was unnerving. I slipped off my pants and exposed myself to the cold night air. I laid the clothes on the bed and put the dry ones on. "Feel better," he asked, taking the wet clothes. I peered behind me to find the disgusted look I knew so well. "Ye-yes, thank you."  He nodded, "you better stay in here." I nodded in reply. "I will." He walked away with his hand over his mouth after he turned off the light, not even bothering to close the door. I couldn't tell if it was because of how disgusted he was or… Was he really hiding a secret smile because of me?        
        Jasper cares about me. I know that much, but this guy… I can't trust him... Not ever… He'll just hurt me again if he gets the chance...