WOUNDS

I was too tired to move. I was also too scared to sleep through the night. The nightmares were becoming worse and worse. They were more violent. They were terrifying.

  Bruce hunched over me. “You still alive?”  I sighed, “Yes Bruce, I’m not dead just yet.”

   “Good, cause last time I heard ya, you says you was not ready for death yet.”

   “No, not yet.”

   “Then, eat,” he exclaimed, “before ya do die on me!”

   “I already told you. I won’t eat from the trash.”

   He chuckled, “ya won’t have to. Yer girl is here to see you.”

  “What are you talking about,” I mumbled. He pointed down the strip of the alley to the girl with a flame thrower of hair. “Becky,” I said out loud, “why is she here?” Bruce gave me a perplexed look. “Don’t ya listen?” He asked. “Right, sorry,” I apologized.

   Once Becky saw me like a cold corpse on the ground, she ran to my aid. “Seth!” She called, “Seth, are you okay?” She touched my face gently and I grabbed her. “Don’t,” I warned. She ripped away from my grasp and held her delicate wrist. “I’m sorry,” I mumbled, “just please don’t do that.”

   She ignored me and rummaged through her bag, taking out medical supplies and gauze. “I don’t need that.” Again, she ignored me. “Okay, look,” Becky spoke up,” I’m going to help you. I’m going to clean you up and give you medicine and food and you’re going to let me.” I watched her and did nothing. When she began to reach for me again, I stayed still. She slipped off the hood I always wore and brushed back the hair that hid my ugly wounds. I could see her tormented reaction when she finally saw me. Even Bruce who was so kind to help me to safety was baffled. “Do you have more of these?” Becky asked. She couldn’t even say what they were. I avoided her eyes and shook my head.

  “He’s lyin,” Bruce said. “No, I’m not.”

   “Sonny, I was in the army! I know a liar when I see one and you be lyin!” I bit my lip as my breath developed into aggravated huffs. Becky took an open bottle of water and splashed it on to a cloth. “This might sting.”

   She pressed the wet cloth to my face and wiped it clean. Certain cuts were infected which made them re-open and hurt the worst. I hated every second of it, but after she was done with my face, I was surprised that it felt better. “Do you have more…um…wounds?” She asked. Before I could answer, Bruce picked me up and allowed me to lean on him. “I know he does.” He started unzipping my hoodie and taking off my shirt. “No, wait,” I pleaded. “We ain’t the folks who hurt you,” he said, “calm down so the girl can help ya.”

    It wasn’t Bruce and Becky I was afraid of. I just didn’t want to see their faces when they saw what was underneath. It was unavoidable. Everything seemed to slow down as my scars were revealed. Becky covered her mouth after she saw what my body has been through. I could hear Bruce curse as his beard brushed against my shoulder to get a better look at my, well, everything Prudence had put me through. I wanted to disintegrate. It was embarrassing having them see me like this. Becky cleaned me and put gauze around my chest and arms.

   I was fed soft foods like a child. Bruce never stopped ranting about how he would strangle the bastard who did this to me. A fight against Prudence and Bruce would be one to remember. After a while, I fell asleep. This time, I didn’t have nightmares. It was just darkness. It was a darkness I have been waiting to have for a while now. It was a good sleep. Something an animal like me shouldn’t have, but it was nice.