As I worked on the machine the sound of the chair being pushed back on the red bricks made me pause, my hands lifting the center up a little to take out all the vials inside of it. My fingers slide over the smooth edges of the vial lips, knocking them loose so to pull them out. Pulling them up, I can feel Ridge's stare to the back of my head. 

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." 

He laughed a little, breaking the silence afterwards as he stepped over to help. 

"Haha, very funny... I just hadn't expected you to wake up so soon.. Smiffy did a number on you..." 

He took the vials and put them up, letting me empty the machine before starting to fix it. 

"What even happened... I feel like I'm missing something..." 

He sighed, patting my head a little as I started taking it apart. 

"Silent... You were unconscious for a week.... I had to get someone from the outside to help you..." 

I paused, confused. He'd told me all about the people outside our headquarters, about how dangerous they were. That, if they saw me, they'd attack and kill me. 

"Duncan was too scared to hurt you when I was staring down his back when he was helping... Or was it Hector.....? Oh well, one of the two." 

My confusion was eased by his words as I took out the piece of stone that had jammed the machine. 

"Damnit... Tell Bebop to stop cramming shit into this thing without vials...." 

He took the stone from me, tossing it out into the hallway. I carefully start reassembling the machine, being handed the various parts by Ridge as I fit them back firmly into place. We worked in silence as I fit the last piece in and start filling it with vials again, starting to feel an ache in my shoulder again. 

"Silent, are you alright..?" 

Ridge startled me a little, making me jump before nodding, staying quiet as I snapped the top back onto the centrifuge and turn it on. 

"You sure...?"

"I'm fine.... My arm aches, that's all...." 

I stand, smiling a little to reassure him. 

"It's nothing some stretching can't fix." 

He didn't look too reassured, but he nodded, standing and patting me on the head. 

"Well, I have to go make all the other mortals have another peace meeting. Again. Because Hector and Duncan can't settle things like men and have to nuke each other every fucking time." 

He smiles, a rare thing, before vanishing, making my own little smile fall. I could tell, big time, that he was hiding something from me. I wait a few seconds before dashing out from the room, yanking my portal gun from my bag and laying one on the floor. The other had already been placed to the top of base as a precaution to intruders. 

Hopping through, I jump through the doors for momentum, placing the portal again below me so I'd launch upwards into the air. I remember he's said something about one of the outsiders moving close into alder forest. As I'm launched, I deploy my hang glider, going myself to search the home out before Ridge got back.