22 - The Tale of the Dawns

"Once upon a time, there was a great queen. She ruled over her subjects with fair grace, though no one knew her name, or what her voice sounded like. She lived in a far away world, a different dimension some say even, far away from Minecraftia.

"One day, during her silent walk through her kingdom of spires, a stranger appeared. He was not of her world, and he intrigued her. He was disheveled, confused and lost. He had no idea where he was.

"The Queen brought him to her spire, one that towered over the rest. She tended to him, made him well again. It had seemed as if he had been fighting before he appeared. As she tended, she learned. He was a human, from a far away place called Minecraftia. He called her world The Dawn, the bright world that signified the rebirth of another.

"However, as she learned, so did he. He learned that the queen had many children, and grand children, living in the Dawn. He met them, one by one, as he asked. The queen saw no harm, and the first of her grandchildren she brought was named Onyx. He was a strong boy, but still very young. He played with him, and learned about the descendants. He learned that no one knows the queen's voice from him. 

"The second grandchild she brought was named Ruby. She was a bright little child, full of curiosity and knowledge. She started teaching him how to read their writing and about their past as a species. He learned from her that all queens had never before spoken, and only on their deathbeds did they. She was barely older than Onyx.

"The third grandchild, however, was silent. She was older, nearly as old as he was. Her name was Elipse, and through her silence he took that she may be the next queen. 

"The queen nursed him back to his full health, but he stayed. He courted the girl Elipse for many years, and eventually won her affection.

"However, he soon grew bored after he had her. The Dawn was never a dark place, so there were no monsters for him to fight. Elipse never spoke a word, made a sound, anything. There was an infinite supply of food, from the crops that the Dawns grew. 

"He soon came up with an idea. He asked for the surplus of grains that they produced, and took it into the spire that had been empty for as long as the Dawn had existed. He did what his father had done, and after a few weeks he had a large supply of weak alcohol.

"He gave the drink to his wife Elipse, in hopes of hearing her voice before her deathbed. She drank every glass he gave to her, and became quite drunken. He tricked her into speaking, with a single question. 

'Do you love me?'

"She replied, though he regretted it. The moment the word yes left her mouth, she crumpled to the floor in agony. He was by her side, confused and guilty. The Dawns all around the small world all had gone the same, curled in agony as their bodies changed from the beautiful, graceful being they were. 

"Their skin grew dark, as did the sky. Slowly, as Elipse grew dark, the world began to change. The crops withered, and the grass curled and hardened into a pearly white stone. The spires, bright with the colors of the rainbow, turned black. With her voice, Elipse had turned the world to darkness and hunger.

"The man stayed, though he was now the hunted instead of the cared for. He eventually died of starvation, but his wife was shut away. She gave birth to something not quite human, but not quite Dawn. She spoke again, using her voice to curse all that was born as so. 

'Enderborn, born in the End..'

"The word End became the name of their world. The End was the land of the Endermen, and the queen. The queen had turned differently. The Enderdragon kept watch over her corrupt realm, same as she always had.

"That Enderborn was forced to earth, where it struggled to survive. Soon many more like it surfaced, as a long string of humans trickling into the End in an attempt to slay the Enderdragon. 

"Once, however, a mortal man courted the dragon herself. She had attacked every man to enter the realm, but she paused for this one. He was the striking image of the man she once saved. 

"Skip forward a millennium, and the queen had a child with a god. She never named the child, as a reminder of what awaited the child. She had to banish the child, but she did so by splitting her into two. One half grew older quickly, while the other aged normally. They were placed together in Minecraftia. 

"No one knows what happened to the two, but legend says that one had the purple blood of an Enderdragon on her right, and the other on her left."

"You see... You have a huge family.... You are the left sister... Technically speaking, I am related to you to some extent...." 

The mug sat untouched in my hand, but the warmth it gave off kept me holding it. He lifted his own, moving his scarf slightly to drink. It smelled like coffee. 

"So.... My family is in the End.?"

"Yes. If you go back there you'd be sure to be either killed or made the new queen."

"What about the sister you told me about..."

"Your memory is all over the place... But Ridgedog killed your sister the day you two were banished, he had claimed it was an accident but he knew exactly who you two were. Your mother had more sympathy to you than her, since you were and still are so innocent.."

I nodded, going silent. My eyes went back to my mug, starting to get lost in my own thoughts. 

I have a family.