The Death Of Love

Warnings: Reader's death, super sad

"Michael do you have to go?" You asked him hopelessly as he shrugged on his jacket.

He looked at you for a moment before crossing the room, pulling you into him and kissing you softly. He nuzzled into your neck as he hugged you tightly and sighed, wanting nothing more than to get back into your warm bed and watch you slowly doze off against his chest.

"I'll be back soon." He promised. "Besides I've paid for someone to drive you to the cottage while Poll's away so I'll be joining you there this evening."

"Oh but Michael what is you get hurt or... you don't make it back?" You asked as you moved to cling onto him.

"(Y/N), you can't worry every time Tommy asks me for a favour." He chuckled, tugging your hands away so he could grab his hat and keys.

"Please be careful... I love you." You mumbled when he headed to the door.

"I know you do, get packing and I'll see you later." Michael said dismissively as he headed out.

Michael smiled as Tommy told him he could have an extra day off, nothing could dampen his mood, he had enough money and free time to spoil you and make up for neglecting you while he'd worked so hard.

All that changed when he saw the car he'd sent for you with bullet holes and busted wheels, his stomach dropped but there was no way the Blinders that were protecting you while he was gone would let you get hurt.

"(Y/N)." Michael muttered when he saw the red ribbon with a small charm he'd bought you at a carnival was on the floor, mixed with the dirt.

He tore up the road, leaving his cousins in the lurch until Finn picked up the ribbon and showed it to Tommy, who attempted to catch up to Michael.

"Michael you don't need to see it." Poll yelled as she tried to stop Michael pushing past her.

"Let go!" He yelped, he could see your hair and the edge of your dress through the mass of doctors and other people who were trying to help you.

Tommy and Arthur attempted to pull Michael back while John and Finn tried to stop him from seeing you but Michael dropped to his knees and scrambled through the dirt.

He felt the tears drip down his face as he saw you there in the dirt covered in blood, it was clear to anyone in a rational state of mind that you'd slipped away moments before but Michael simply ignored anyone who told him, whispering for you to wake up.

"Michael..." Poll muttered as she choked back tears herself.

"No!" he hissed at her. "Come on (Y/N) ... please you need to get up, it's supposed to be just you and me this weekend, just like I promised." Michael mumbled as he pressed kisses to your forehead.

He couldn't help the whirl of thoughts that repeated through his head, perhaps if he'd just stayed a moment longer, kissed you good bye, he should have said he loved you back. And that's when he really broke down.

"Come on Michael." Poll tried to get him to stand but he just sobbed into you.

"I... I didn't tell her I loved her." Michael wailed. "She said she loved me and... I just ran off to work."

By now even Tommy was having a hard time keeping the tears from flowing, Finn had jerked the collar of his coat up while John and Arthur had tugged of their caps and watched the ordeal in a humbled silence.

The evening of your funeral was a day Tommy expected Michael's thought to be solely on you but the young Shelby stormed into his office and slammed his hands on the table.

"You're going to help me." He snapped at Tommy.

"Do what?" Tommy was clearly nervous judging by his tone but Michael didn't care.

"Find whoever did this to my (Y/N) ... they can't just take her from me, she wasn't theirs to take." Michael's eyes were fixed with determination and the older Shelby knew if he didn't help Michael would find another, more dangerous way.