Your Mother Still Hates Me

"So how'd it go?" John teased as he joined the family in the kitchen, muttering an apology for being late.

"Don't want to be associated with the likes of us, (Y/N)'s got to stop day dreaming about Gangster's and find herself a nice young man." Michael grunted and accepted the glass Arthur handed over.

"She was too good for you any way Michael." Arthur chuckled and pulled a chair out for his cousin to sink down onto.

"Got a plan though, just have to convince her Mum we're not that bad." He downed the last of his drink and set the glass down as his cousins laughed and joked over his plan.

"Alright fifty on Michael getting shot." Arthur slapped down a roll of money on the table and everyone did the same with their own bets.

"You didn't have to come; I could have spoken to her." Michael ignored you as he shuffled in his seat, trying to pay attention to the man at the front of the church, finding his eyes wondering the room as he tried not to think over all the things he still needed to get done once he left.

"But I have to convince her." Michael whispered as everyone stood to leave the church and your mother bustled around chatting to everyone.

"Mr Gray you must tell us where this Sunday dinner is, some of us know the way, but some of us aren't used to Birmingham." One of the woman said to Michael who took it as his chance to be as charming as possible.

"My, my, Mr Gray aren't we popular." You teased as they cooed over him until he left to lead the way to Arrow House.

"Yeah well your Mother still hates me." He sighed and pulled into the drive waving at Ada as she shooed Charlie and Karl inside.

"Well just nod and agree with everything she says and you should be fine." Your offer of advice had him frowning and soon the flood of people settling down for dinner separated you.

The next time you spotted Michael was as he sipped tea from a cup that was to small and spoke with your Mother, nodded and humming at everything she said, the look on his face telling you he was beyond board and was zoned out completely.

"Do you think I should save Michael?" You asked as Pol rushed past you.

"No sweetheart it's practise for later in life." She huffed and tried to smile at the straggle of woman who were trying to ask her about the house.