Lost Love

"Why did you want to go out Michael, we usually wait until the weekend." You asked Michael as you nurse your drink. He let out a slow sigh as he lit a cigarette.

"I'm going to be busy over the next few weeks. I wanted to be sure to make some time for you." Michael said. He smiled when you rolled your eyes and held a hand up. "It was Polly's idea. A good one though."

"I'm glad she had the idea. I worry about you." You admitted.

"You don't need to be." He said halfheartedly and winked as he watched you nod. You didn't reply as your food came. Watching the exchange between the surver and Michael you assumed the only money Michael would be spending that night was a tip.

The talk was stiff, you both knew he had promised to do something dangerous for Tommy, it hung in the air and you both decide that until consequences knocked at the door you'd rather ignore it.

After a pleasant meal Michael offered the waiter a huge tip on the promise that no one found out you'd eaten at the restaurant. As you made the way out to the car, arm in arm with Michael, a few of Tommy's men approached.

You were both watching the stars and Michael had been explaining the constellations when he noticed them. Without a word he slipped his jacket off and put it over your shoulders, kissing your cheek as he motioned for one of the men to drive you home.

*********************

"Michael!" Polly gasped when he strolled into the house.

"Did (Y/N) go with Ada?" He asked, confused as to why the car still wasn't in the drive seeing as it was early hours of the morning and he'd sent you home hours ago.

"Michael. The man that took her home..." Polly started, tearing up as she tried to finish.

"He worked for an enemy and now half of Tommy's men are looking for her." Ada said as she came out of the kitchen, looking as if she hadn't slept. "I was waiting up for her. I don't know something felt off." She admitted and Polly cupped Michael's face as he went quiet.

He sat in the nearest seat, staring past Polly to where your coat was hanging on the back of a chair. "She didn't come home?" He said quietly, still in shock.

Polly hugged him as it sunk in. While he broke down and Polly comforted him Ada directed everyone around the room, being sure to give Tommy an earful each time he passed her.

Hours dragged by and eventually Polly had to out Michael to bed and sit beside him as exhaustion and stress took his feet from beneath him.

"How is he?" Tommy asked from the doorway.

"He'd be better if she was here. Do you know what you've stolen from him with your recklessness!" She said back sharply. She glanced at Tommy who looked regretful.

"I'm doing what I can to find her again." Tommy insisted and left Polly to fuss over Michael.

**************************

He found you. It took a few days but Michael had found you and was on his way. He'd seen the letter from someone who was working with Tommy before anyone else. The family was probably on their way but Michael had to get to you first.

He kicked in the door to the building, gun raised and looking for you. "Shelby." A voice boomed out.

"Sorry, Tommy couldn't make it. I've come for my girl." Michael said as he cocked the gun and walked the man back to the only other door in the room.

"Well I was hoping for Tommy. Not whoever you are." The man snapped.

From inside the room you could hear voices. You had no idea who it was but you could barely stay conscious and as long as they stayed away from you, you didn't care anymore. When a bang shook the room and it was suddenly flooded with light you started to panic and fight whoever had come in.

"(Y/N). Shh. It's ok. It's me. It's Michael." You could feel him touching your face as he spoke, trying to remove the gag in your mouth while accepting whatever blow you could throw at him.

"Michael?" You whimpered as he untied you and lifted you into his arms.

"Don't look ok. I'm gonna get you out of here. We're gonna go home." He said over and over, like a chant.

By the time he got you out Tommy, Arthur and John were gathering men to head inside. They rushed over, sending most of the people in as they helped Michael to a car. "She alright Michael?" Arthur asked when he realised you were either asleep or unconscious.

"Needs food, some rest. I don't think anything to bad happened. He thought she was with Tommy. I just wanna get her home, have Poll look her over." Michael admitted. Tommy nodded and promised he'd deal with what was left.

The drive home took too long for Michael's liking but the days of stress, not seeing you and knowing if you were alright were eased by your head gently rested on his shoulder.