Chapter Thirty Three

--------------------

"Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor." - Sholom Aleichem.

Dedication: Juliaannec for the amazing cover! I love the use of the red, I think that reflects both Faith's looks and personality. Thank you so much!

Recap:

I blinked, not seeing clearly. With the tears in my eyes and now my concussion, I couldn't focus on anything.

I heard my name being called. I opened my car door, to see Xavier sprinting towards me.

My legs gave out and I collapsed onto the hard bitumen ground.

That was the last I remembered.

---------------------

"Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhh," I groaned way too dramatically.

"She's awake," a heard an amused voice comment, before a rough, calloused hand gripped mine.

Just by his mere touch, I knew it was my dad. A strong surge of relief washed through me, knowing that he was here. If he was here, everything was okay.

"Faith," his voice murmured.

Slowly, my eyes fluttered open. I groaned again as my eyes felt strained from the sudden brightness.

"Don't freak out," he continued, his voice eerily calm and soothing. "You've had an accident. You're at the hospital."

"What?" I slurred, blinking.

Slowly, my surroundings become sharper as I focused. I was lying in a hospital bed, with dad holding my hand. Brooklyn sat there, a magazine on her lap. She smiled at me.

"Hey," she said. "What's up?"

Typical.

"Accident?" I repeated slowly, frowning.

"Yes, you pulled out in front of a car. You got injured more than the other driver."

"Of course," I muttered, wincing as I tried to move.

"You've got some whiplash, a bit of swelling, bruising, and you'll have some muscle pain. But no serious injuries, which is good," dad said, slipping into Doctor mode.

"Thanks dad," I said wearily. "How's my car?"

"We might need some higher pain killers if you want to discuss your car," dad joked.

"Serious," I said hoarsely. "Is it okay?"

He shook his head. "I don't know. It could be a write-off. Or it could just be very expensive to fix. We just have to wait."

I groaned, again. "Great."

"Can I get you anything?" Brooklyn offered.

"A water, thanks," I smiled.

"Michael?"

"I'll come grab a coffee, you right here for a second?" dad asked.

"Sure."

They both wandered off and I stared up at the ceiling. I was an idiot. I shouldn't have let myself get behind the wheel when I was so upset.

"Hey," a new voice said.

Swivelling my eyes, I looked at Xavier. "What are you doing here?"

"Just wanted to see if you were okay," he shrugged, looking down at his feet.