Chapter Thirty Eight

-----------------

Dedication: Night-Owls for the awesome cover! Thank you!

Recap:

No...

It was never, ever a good thing when that Mercedes was parked in front of my house.

Turning on my heel, ready to flee, I began to bolt. But it was too late.

"Faith Maree Martin," my mother's shrill barked, making the blood inside my veins turn cold. "Get here, this instant."

I hate my life.

-----------------

I shook my head incredulously, as my mother began screaming at me.

I hadn't even made it through the front door. Her mouth was moving, her words were projected, but I didn't bother to listen. Picking up the pace, I shouldered past her, refusing to let this witch act like she has had any part of my life.

"Faith," she snapped, gripping my arm tightly and wrenching me back.

I ripped my arm from her, as though I had been poisoned. I blinked, noticing a small flash of hurt in her eyes, before I mentally shook myself. Hurt? Yeah right. We're talking about my cold-hearted mother, here.

"Don't touch me," I hissed, my voice laced with venom. "You have no right to touch me."

"I am your mother," she snarled, her upper lip curling as she forced out the word 'mother'.

"Since when?" I snorted unladylike. "You left. You abandoned this family. You only show up when something is wrong, to try and act like you have some say about what happens next. You think you're so superior when you're actually nothing. You mean nothing to me."

"Faith," dad barked, his voice stern. "That's enough."

"No," I shouted, tears welling in my eyes. I whirled around to him. "How dare she come here and started yelling at me. Why do you think I'm so fucked up? Hello, serious case of abandonment issues here!"

"Oh, that's rich of you," she retorted. "I'm the reason why you're punching teachers? Your father isn't to blame at all?"

"No!" I screamed in exasperation. "Don't you get it? You left him to raise a daughter. You didn't want us. You can't just come back into our lives whenever you feel like. You cannot come here and judge my dad for his parenting skills when you're a complete fucking joke. You being a parent is a joke."

"Faith," she said, planting her hands on her hips.

"Just fuck off," I snapped, shaking my head. "I hate you. Don't come to see me ever again."

"Faith!" both mum and dad chorused.

"I mean it," I growled, my fists balling at my sides. "I want nothing to do with you."

With that, I turned and stormed into the house, the echo of the front door slamming behind me.

My whole body was trembling. I ran up the stairs and fell onto my bed, sobs erupting from my body.

Everything is a mess.

***

Nerves bubbled in my stomach as I shrugged my leather jacket over my shoulders.

Resting my hand on my abdomen, as if that would ease my anxiety, I stared into my reflection. My lightly tanned skin was smooth, my eyes were bright and my lips smeared neatly with gloss.