Chapter Forty One

-----------------

Dedication: Pixilights for the amazing cover! Thank you!

Recap:

"I didn't know who else to turn to, okay?"

"That's what happen when you're a bitch. You have no friends."

She sneered at me and opened her mouth, just as I heard a scream and a loud crash. Without a moment of hesitation, I bolted up the stairs and pushed through the door. I froze, my heart jumping into my throat.

"Oh my God..."

-----------------

My heart plummeted into my stomach as my eyes drank in the scene before me.

Chase, was on the ground, his face battered, bruised and coated in blood. Xavier had a swollen eye and a cut arching over his left eyebrow. There was another guy, whom I've never seen before, nursing a swollen and bloody nose, off in the corner.

Lastly, there was a man, wrapped in an expensive looking suit, his demeanor portraying utmost wealth and power, standing off to the right, his chest puffed out, a knife in his hand.

"Oh, great," he said sarcastically, his voice causing a shiver to run down my spine. "Here come the children to save the day. Anyone else we're inviting to the party?"

"Let's just all calm down," I said, my voice sounding much stronger than I felt.

My knees wobbled together as I stood there, desperately wanting to reach out to Xavier and hold him. But, I couldn't. The amount of testosterone and tension in this room, was enough to make me suffocate. I had to tone this down, before it got too out of hand.

"Calm down?" the suited guy questioned, a hint of dark humour in his tone. "This pathetic imbosile lost my product. It was worth thousands," he hissed, his eyes narrowing. "And you're telling me to calm down?"

"Yes, I am," I snapped, staring challengingly back at him. I forced my fear into the back of my mind and focused on the matter at hand. I needed to be fearless right now. "For one, this has nothing to do with me or him," I said, pointing to Xavier. "Unfortunately, his dimwit of a brother and his even dumber girlfriend, thought it was a good idea to drag us into this mess." I waved half-heartedly to a sobbing and irritating Megan, who was not helping me with this at all. "So, leave this one out of it." I gestured to Xavier again. "Chase is an idiot and I don't like him, I'm going to be honest. But, I don't want to see him get killed over this, okay? So let's just calm down and come up with a way to deal with this."

He dragged his tongue across his teeth as he took in my words. He lent back onto the table behind him, running his finger over the blade of the knife. I gulped, my throat starting to feel dry. I had to keep strong, if I showed weakness, we were done.

"You see, little girl," he said, the words 'little girl' came out dark and bitter. "He must take punishment for this."

"Yep, I get you," I replied with a nod. "Honestly, I kind of want him to be punished. But he's seventeen, he should be worrying about exams and girls, not this shit." I shrugged. "He's too young to die, don't you think?"

"No."

"Okay," I said awkwardly. "How about you punish Andrew, for letting Chase handle this operation? Really, it's his fault for hiring someone so careless and incompetent."

"He didn't lose the product."

"How do you know that?" I asked. "Chase could just be a pawn in all of this."