Chapter 13: Caught Bloody-Handed

It's been a week since I grew the scales and horns. Mikey was as dazzled by my new horns as I was. I had also done a little physiotherapy with Donatello, to help me be able to walk without tripping on my tail or overbalancing on my weird legs. My body felt strange, and yet familiar, as if I was born to become this.

The other turtles also helped. Mikey would get me to do flips and tricks, and Leo had me practice hand-to hand combat. One afternoon I had watched Raph lift a bar bent with weight. So of course, with my personality, I asked to have a go. He gave a me a spare bar with a smirk. The bar itself was rather heavy. I nearly dropped it when it was put in my hands. Raph caught it, then helped me. I think he felt a little sorry for me.

I may have been unconscious for a few days, but my muscles had withered dramatically. Donnie said it was from the muscles reconstructing. He had also started to take notes on my anatomy and such things. The only thing he could get out of a blood sample, was that I was still developing.

I was lounging around while the turtles went on a patrol. They rarely did those as a whole group anymore. One of them always stayed behind to help me if I needed it. Tonight, Master Splinter told the boys to go. It was his turn, he said. So, as I sat there, flipping a tonfa blade in the air and catching it, Splinter meditated in a circle of candles. I groaned with boredom, so I went to practice a few flips that Mikey had taught me.

As I was coming down to land a 360 spin flip, something in my throat shifted painfully. I never managed the short, choked scream of pain before blood flooded my throat. I landed hard on my back, but thankfully not on my wings. I rolled over to let the blood flow out of my mouth. My back started to feel as if sharp, thin swords were being stabbed in. But I knew from experience that they were growing out. Splinter hadn't managed to hear my body fall. I knew he wouldn't be able to help anyways. So I got up and stumbled my way topside.

I hauled myself up to a rooftop via a convenient fire escape. I had to find Donnie. I managed to stumble across five rooftops before someone appeared. "Where ya goin' kiddo?" A large, humanoid rhinoceros stomped towards me. I started to move back. A strange, slightly foreign presence appeared in my mind. I shook my head a little. The presence made me bare my sharp teeth. It was slowly taking over my mind. The rhino man watched my display of aggression. "Alrighty, time to come with us," As soon as I heard 'us', I was grabbed from behind by another humanoid creature. I struggled and growled, but he had pinned my arms and wings. But as I twisted my body, more blood was ejected from my throat. I was slowly losing consciousness from blood loss. Eventually I hung limp in the mutant's arms. I knew I had at least given him a nasty bite. Everything faded to black.