Chapter 20: Payment

The next day, Karai and I bought two more animals to give the mutagen to. We chose a tortoiseshell cat and a small green python. We injected them with the remaining two mutagen needles.

The serpent's head split into seven, and its body became larger, eventually growing four small, three-taloned legs. A hydra.
The cat grew many times larger, like the hydra. The fur around its neck lengthened into a mane, and its tail morphed into a serpent's head. A goat's head sprouted from the cat's shoulders. It became a chimera.

As both fell unconscious, I clipped a collar on each of them. The cockatrice watched with fascination at the other creatures. I had upgraded their collars, to make the creatures more ready for my commands. When they came to, they were nearly as tamed as the cockatrice.

After testing the capabilities of my new experiments, Karai, Bebop, Rocksteady and I gathered in the dining room of my apartment. My adoptive sister and I sat in the chairs. The mutants remained standing, their weight too much for the flimsy seats. I pulled the golden drachma out of my wallet and placed it in the centre of the table, where all present could see it.

"What's that boss?" the rhinoceros grunted.
"A golden drachma, believed to be the only currency left that the Greek gods use," I explained.
"What do we do with it?" Karai asked, touching it lightly with curiosity. I shrugged slightly, indicating my own lack of knowledge.
"I guess we find a way to use it," I replied.
"Well, it's a coin, ain't it boss? Maybe ya need to buy somethin' with it," the warthog had a point. I quickly grabbed my laptop and opened it in front of me.

"Here! A golden drachma can be used to create an Iris message, summon the Grey Sisters, or pay Charon to take you to the underworld," I read aloud.
"My guess is that man was Charon, or someone similar," Karai stated. I nodded with agreement.
"But boss, how would you find this Care-ron to pay him?"
"Charon," I corrected the rhino. "I guess we just find an open area of dirt and put it on the soil,"

*

I stood on the same field I had first met the armoured man. Karai and most of the Foot Clan surrounded me. Bebop and Rocksteady shifted uncomfortably beside me. It was deep into the night, the perfect time. I pulled the drachma out of my pocket, and threw it out into the field. Nothing happened. Frowning, I took a step forward. The ground under the golden coin suddenly heaved upwards. The man in armour clambered out.

"I see you have figured out how to summon me," he spoke quietly, and yet his voice travelled to our ears clearly. My creatures stepped in front of me, on guard. The man turned to look over his shoulder. A sharp whistle came from beneath his helmet. The ground was shifted even further as the shoulders of a great hound pulled itself free. Lifting its three heads, they let out a deep, reverberating bark. Behind it, several smaller, single-headed, flaming dogs leapt to the surface.
"Cerberus and hellhounds," I whispered in awe.

"My Master will pleased with you. He may not send you to Tartarus for your help. Maybe a few centuries in the Fields of Punishment would be payment enough?" My eyes widened with shock.
"W-what?"
"You are a mere pawn in this plan of my Master's. You will not be getting anything from this agreement,"
"You betrayed me!" I roared. "Get him!" I ordered my forces. The beasts attacked first. Hydra heads struck, chimera fire burned, and cockatrice poison filled veins with death.

Eventually, they were pinned down, and their collars were removed with snaps of hellhound teeth. They turned on us. The mercenaries took them on, as the Foot Clan wrestled with fiery beasts. In the end, Karai and I called retreat. With many soldiers and a mercenary limping away, the Ferryman laughed deeply.

As dawn light spilt into the dark sky, the man in leather armour, closing his one, ruby eye, called.
"Arise, my Lord,"

*Many thanks to Rick Riordan for my inspiration for the armoured dude! And the golden drachma. And the things you can use it for. I don't own any of Rick Riordan's books by the way. But you guys should definitely read them. They are amazing! Enjoy the rest of the story~*