Chapter 15: Experiment

I sat in my lab, analysing the blood sample Karai had brought me from the winged girl. I had been... displeased, when I heard of her escape. But one sample is enough.

My eyes strain through the lens of the microscope. The cells are still alive and are constantly shifting about, not giving me enough time to analyse them. As they slowly begin to die, they slow down enough. What I see makes my eyes widen. I snatch the rest of the sample from its spot on the table, in a simple glass beaker. I run it through a synthesising machine. I remember the last time I used something like this was when those three turtles had been standing in front of me.

As the blood is separated, a green substance fills three small injection needles. The blood comes out dead and brown. Separated from its natural mutagen. I was gleeful that I had found something like this. The possibilities... I pull out my cell phone and press speed dial.
"Hello?"
"Karai, I want you to get me something," I say into the receiving end.
"Hai, what is it you require, my brother?"
"I need you to go to a pet store and buy me an animal. I have some experiments to do. I'll pay you back as well," I hear her say she understands, then hang up.

*

"Here," Karai passes me a small cage, in which a silver chicken sat. I dismiss her, before taking the cage into my makeshift lab and pulling the chicken out. It pecks my hand harshly as I tie it down, so it doesn't struggle. I grunt with the slight pain. The bird has a glint in its ire, slightly evil-looking, as if it knows how to hurt me.

I grab a needle containing the girl's mutagen. Holding the chicken down, I inject it with the green substance. It screeches its displeasure and pain. It slowly begins to mutate before my eyes. It's feet break through the bonds, and talons grow, while it's feathers elongate. Scales appear and its body becomes long and serpentine.

After about ten minutes or so, the bird collapses into unconsciousness. I grab a special collar I had made prior, and clip it around the bird's neck. As it finishes mutating, I go to my laptop to research bird-related mythical creatures. It was merely a theory I had. After searching for a while, I found a beast that matched the general appearance of the bird lying nearby.

 After searching for a while, I found a beast that matched the general appearance of the bird lying nearby

A cockatrice.

*This is not my pic, whoever drew it is awesome. I hope you guys are enjoying this. I would love to hear comments!*