My moment in the light

Me and my mum were at the coffee shop. I had ordered some tea and she got coffee. I loved the shop we would go to. There would be a little stage and sometimes late at night my dad would take me to go see who was performing at the stage. I saw a little clipboard hanging from the wall. It was a local talent competition sign up sheet. The winner would perform at the coffee shop! I got really exited. What if I win?!

My mom came back with our order. I took a gulp of my tea as she began to talk about school.

"So how are you liking your teacher" she asked.

"She's fine"

"And penny?"

"She's Penny"

"And your marks?"

"I'm not sure, reports are coming in a week"

She sipped her coffee and I decided to talk to her about the flier.

"Mum, could I please sign up for the local talent show?" I asked trying to look as cute as possible.

"You really want to?" she said surprised. "You're a bit young honey"

" I know but maybe I'll win, I could sing them one of my songs or someone else's song?"

"If you really want to go ahead and give it a shot!"

I smiled and walked up to the clipboard. Try outs for the talent show we're next week. They were private so only the judges could see. So if I made it there would be another date for a private talent show. Then the winner would be the only one that got the chance to preform in public. I wrote down my name and my mums phone number. I checked the category for music. I sat back down and drank some more tea. My mum smiled. She seemed proud of my bravery.

When we got home my brother was playing Pokémon. I went upstairs and played my new guitar. Christmas was coming around and I really wanted a Nintendo just like James. I peaked out the window. Woodley was in the backyard sleeping in the sun and Pepsi was chasing a butterfly like a silly goose. I giggled and began to play a new song on the guitar that I recently came up with. I also wanted to sing hakuna matata, my favorite song from Lion King.

I had no idea but I was determined to win!
(Time skip)

-------------------------------------------------------

I walked in line at the coffee shop with a guitar in my hand. I was wearing a white sweater dress with black boots.

(Imagine this but younger)

The line kept getting shorter. As I got closer and closer I could start to hear a man say "PASS" or sometimes "here is this envelope that will give you the information for the talent show, can't wait to see you there!". I kept getting more and more nervous. It was finally my turn.

"What is your name?" said a tall man who was almost bald.

"B-Bethany Bates"

"Nice to meet you Bethany, show me what you got!"

I picked up my guitar and played. Played like I was at home. Except this time a man was watching me. And I was scared.