Worth a dance

I was ready to go to school on the look out for a partner! I was going to be myself. I was going to look myself. I was going out all Bethany and no faking. I got to the front of the school and my confidence was starting to drain. No boy looked at me or acknowledged I existed. I walked into the school and saw Penny looking shocked while talking to a smart boy named Joshua. She turned around and ran up to me.

"Beth, Josh asked me to the dance!," she said smiles and all.

"What did you say," I asked expecting the obvious.

"Yes!," she said as if she was going to explode.

"You know what, we should all do a foursome  date, like all four of us with our partners, there's a restaurant close to the place where the formal is at," I suggested.

"We all already got dates?," asked Penny.

"Well you I know for sure, I'm not sure about the rest," I said.

We walked to a bench and waited for Emma and Sailor. They arrived and seemed to be chatting about the formal.

"Hey Sailor, remember the trip we had planned to Argentina with the TFTO?," I asked.

"Yea," she said.

"What happened to that?," I asked.

"Oh yea I kinda forgot to mention it was canceled," said Penny.

"So who has dates?," said Emma breaking the conversation. When that was said Sailor looked incredibly uncomfortable. She glanced at me but than quickly looked away.

"Josh and me are going!," said Penny with a big white smile. Emma and Penny had their little "OMG EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!" moment.

"Ok so a boy named Landen asked me and I said yes of course," Emma said casually.

"Well James asked me," said Sailor. Just than it went silent. Penny and me looked at each other.

"What like you didn't see it coming!," she said with her arms crossed and head down.

"We're not upset, just surprised," I said. After that everyone turned there heads expecting me to announce my partner. I sat there in the awkward silence. I waited it out until I had to speak.

"No ones asked me yet," I said.

Emma did a little smile. Penny patted me on the back and Sailor just stood there.

"It's ok, the dance is in a week," said Emma.

"Yea!," said Penny.

I smiled, gathered my things and walked away. I turned the corner where I could be unseen. I sat there staring at the wall for a while. Waiting for the fact that maybe someone will turn the corner and wonder why I'm sitting here and might just ask me because for goodness sakes someone thinks I'm worth a dance. It never happened though. I was still alone. The bell rang and I was off to the races.