The boy across the road Chapter 28

Jacobs POV

I opened my eyes and blinked rapidly until my vision turned from blurry to normal. I was in a white room, and I could hear a machine beeping away by the second. I turned my head to see my mum sitting in a chair beside me.

"Jacob...Jacob! Let me get a nurse..NURSE, NURSE"

She pressed the emergancy button and two nurses came running in.

"Jacob, you're awake. Can you remember what happened"

"Car crash....D-Daniel" was all I could manage to say. 

"Yes, you were in a very bad car crash. Daniel...well, Daniel isn't doing as well as you, but we are hopeful that he will be on the mend soon"

"Daniel"

"We figured you would be like this. I'm sorry but you can't see Daniel just yet"

"Danny" I sobbed. I wanted to see him so bad, see how he was doing. I was still so confused. We were in a ferrari. I was driving. A car came towards us. I was speeding. Then black.

"Mum...I want to see Danny"

"You can't Jacob"

"Why, what's wrong, tell me what's going on"

"Daniel is still unconscious. Nobody knows if and when he will wake up"

"Danny!" I wailed. It seemed to be the only word I wanted to say right now, he was all that was on my mind. I couldn't rest until I knew for sure that he was okay.

"I know, I know"

"No you don't" I snapped. How could she say that. Of course she doesn't know, this has never happened to her before.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know what else to say"

"I just want Danny" 

"You're going to have to wait. You've both been unconscious for a week now"

"M-Mikey"

"He's gone back to live with his mum"

"Okay"

Just then Mikey came through the door.

"Hey Jacob"

"Hi. Listen, can you do me a favour"

"Yeh, what"

"Have you got you're phone with you"

"Yeh"

"Can you go to Danny's room, take a picture of him, and bring it back to me. I need to see how he's doing"

"Okay" Mikey said anxiously. He walked away and down the hall. I watched him until he was out of sight.

"Do you need anything Jacob"

"I'm good. Can you leave me alone for a bit. I just really want to be with myself"

"Okay, I'll be just round the corner"

"Thanks mum"

She walked away and I closed my eyes. This was my living nightmare. Mikey walked through the door and handed me the phone. He bit his lip as if he was nervous about what would happen next. I looked at the photo and I broke down in tears.

"Danny!" He was covered in tubes and wires and hooked up to about 3 different machines. His face was deathly pale and his eyes were closed. I handed Mikey the phone back and he walked away. Yet again, I felt my eyes slowly close and I drifted off into a deep sleep.

I awoke yet again with blurry vision and with the sound of a continous beeping sound right in my ear. This time when I turned my head, I saw....

"Danny!"