Tokyo Ghoul

***Anime information***

Seasons: 2

Episodes: 24 (12 per season)

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Action, Mystery, Horror, Psychological, Supernatural, Drama, Seinen

Viewers rating: 8/10

Opening: Unravel

Ending: Seijatachi

Plot: Tokyo has become a cruel and merciless city—a place where vicious creatures called “ghouls” exist alongside humans. The citizens of this once great metropolis live in constant fear of these bloodthirsty savages and their thirst for human flesh. However, the greatest threat these ghouls pose is their dangerous ability to masquerade as humans and blend in with society.

Based on the best-selling supernatural horror manga by Sui Ishida, Tokyo Ghoul follows Ken Kaneki, a shy, bookish college student, who is instantly drawn to Rize Kamishiro, an avid reader like himself. However, Rize is not exactly who she seems, and this unfortunate meeting pushes Kaneki into the dark depths of the ghouls' inhuman world. In a twist of fate, Kaneki is saved by the enigmatic waitress Touka Kirishima, and thus begins his new, secret life as a half-ghoul/half-human who must find a way to integrate into both societies.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 7/10

Opinion: I wasn't sure what to expect, I usually have my guard up when it comes to extremely popular and mainstream anime, as I prefer uncovering the underground gems that people simply haven't heard of. But, regardless of how many time I say that about the mainstream series, It seems that more often than not, I find myself loving them.

After half a year of sitting in my "plan to watch" section of MAL, my dearest friend recommended I watch the anime sooner rather than later. While he simply refused to view the second season, he informed me that the first was good. In the days following; I finished the anime I had been watching and decided I'd see for myself just how great this series was. Well, all I can say is....Why hasn't season three aired yet?!

Spending an even amount of time both at school and home, I finished season one that week and found it to have been a spectacular experience and hastily continued to season two. What I found waiting wasn't near what I expected and I was even a bit disappointed and kinda pissed off. Doing my research I learned just how the manga went, and when I compared it to the second season I found that it was utter trash in comparison.

Allow me to clarify, I actually really liked season two. Regardless of how much better that manga is, I take that into full account and say that I liked season two. Of course, my ships weren't recognized and good characters died, but that's just what happens.

The basic plot was super interesting and really kept me glued to my phone until the very last minute. I formally recognize Tokyo Ghoul as a great story. Both in manga and anime. Of course there where a fair share of things that I didn't like or didn't really make sense. Be it characters or bits of the story. It wasn't by any means perfect. Not even close! However the story is defiantly one that was carefully thought out and executed.

Now, I could fawn over the story all day. Let's continue on. The animation and art was amazing! From character design to animation of the ghouls abilities, it was all done so well. Of course, I'm no animator, but it all flowed so smoothly and looked simply beautiful.

The music however, is on it's own level of gold. Simple as I can put it, season one of Tokyo Ghoul has the best, my absolute favorite anime opening. I've seen almost two hundred anime at the time of writing this and it's without a doubt my favorite. And the ending of the second season, while not my favorite, is still an amazing piece of work.

Lastly, I'll quickly cover the cast of characters and just what I thought, generally about them. For the most part, it was all good. Mostly.... As some characters that I took favor in received developments, others didn't. Generally, I liked the characters, however there was the few that I wished death upon more than others. Most of the Ghouls were awesome and interesting characters. But as I said, I don't think enough of them got as much development or even involvement in the story as they should have. Of course it's just my opinion, but I feel a few of the minor characters were a but neglected of their screen time.

If I were to say anything else.... Read the manga, for sure. However, don't dismiss the anime because of it. Don't be one of those people. The manga was great, and so was the anime. And while the second season didn't follow the manga, I still found it to be a great story and great continuation.

Honestly, the series as a whole is awesome. I suppose I'll see you all again when season three is released. From what I understand, things will be getting even more interesting. I'll see you all then, at my review of the third season, whenever that may be.

Favorite character:

Suzuya Juuzou

Kirishima Touka

Kirishima Touka

Favorite part:

***Average***

Plot: 93

Op: 99

Character's: 90

Art style: 92

Enjoyment: 90

Tokyo Ghoul average: 93 (A level anime)