Magi: The labyrinth of magic

***Anime information***

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 24

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Magic, Shounen

Viewers rating: 8/10

Opening: V.I.P

Ending: Matataku Hoshi no Shita de

Plot: Dispersed around the world, there are several bizarre labyrinths hiding incredible treasures within them. These mysterious places, known as "Dungeons," are said to be the work of Magi, a class of rare magicians, who also help people build their empires by guiding them to a dungeon. Djinns, supernatural beings that rule over the labyrinths, grant successful conquerors access to their immense power and choose them as potential king candidates to rule the world.

Having spent life in isolation, Aladdin, a kind and young magician, is eager to explore the world upon finally leaving his home behind. He begins his journey only accompanied by his mentor Ugo—a djinn that Aladdin can summon with his flute. However, Aladdin soon becomes friends with the courageous Alibaba Saluja after causing the destruction of a local merchant's supply cart. In order to pay for the damages, Alibaba suggests that they attempt to conquer the nearest dungeon, taking the first step in an epic adventure that will decide the fate of the world itself.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 7/10

Opinion: Okay! This is where the Magi series get good! As I pointed out in my review on the adventures of Sinbad (the prequel to this season) The labyrinth of magic is where the plot starts to pick up, and really captivate people.

Let's begin with our story! When I started the season, I didn't know what to expect. So when I saw that Sinbad wasn't our protagonist I was a bit upset. However, with the cast of newly introduced characters I quickly grew attached to them and got over that issue. The entire plot for this show seemed alien compared to what I was shown in the adventures of Sinbad. I won't say that's a bad thing, as I much preferred the story for this than the story for Sinbad. I was also surprised that Sinbad's character actually didn't appear until about mid season (episode 11-13) and when he did show up he was naked.

Such a wonderful man he is!

I found that in comparison to it's prequel, The labyrinth of magic was actually much more serious and didn't have near as much comedy as the season prior. This upset me. While there was still comedy to the show and characters, I found the element to be defiantly lacking, compared to what I was used to for the series. Issues of politics, poverty and slavery were only some of many things that flew at us in this season. I'm not saying this as a negative, I think these gave our characters a bit more personality. Like Alibaba with his struggle to say his kingdom through republics. Or how Morigana was an X slave. Things like these heavily contributed to both plot and characters.

One of the only issues for me, while I said I liked the more serious aspects, I think it hindered the show a bit. What I mean is that, I honestly didn't think enough time was spent on the area of the dungeons and magi. Of course its shown that Aladdin is a magi himself, and Jadar is also a magi, so I guess its more that the dungeons didn't get as much time as I'd had liked.

I was split with the music for basically the entire series. As I'd said before, I hated all the music of the adventures of Sinbad. It was all so bad! But as I started this anime the music got better. I found that while the endings were still pretty bad, the openings got much better. The visuals for the anime were modern, so pretty nice. I'd say art and animation of the anime was really smooth.

Finally, I'll say that there were SO many characters introduced in this anime. Outside of our protagonists, we get to see what's happened with Sinbad and what's become of his party. Besides him and his great generals we are introduced to so many new king candidates. It was crazy. I was having a series of heart attacks as I tried to place one character over the other. Picking favorites was so hard for this series. Some of the characters were so great. Others, I was happy to see killed. But without saying, the characters and story were some of the best. I defiantly loved them.

What can I say to wrap this up? Honestly, compared to the season prior, the series took a huge leap upwards. While the first season was okay, I found this to be much better. Just the series as a whole is pretty amazing. If you're randomly tuning in, I'd suggest watching the adventures of Sinbad, then this. If you're new to the series I'd really suggest investing some time into it.

Favorite character:

Hakuei Ren

Morgiana

Favorite part:

Favorite part:

***Average***

Plot: 90

Op: 88

Character's: 92

Art style: 93

Enjoyment: 97

Magi: The labyrinth of magic average: