Ghost hunt

***Anime information***

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 25

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Comedy, Horror, Mystery, Shoujo, Supernatural

Viewers rating: 8/10

Opening: "Main theme"

Ending: "Ending theme"

Plot: While at school, Taniyama Mai and her friends like to exchange ghost stories. Apparently, there is an abandoned school building on their campus that is the center of many ghost stories. During the story, they are interrupted by a mysterious male figure. The person turns out to be Shibuya Kazuya, a 17-year-old who is president of the Shibuya Psychic Research Company. He was called by the principal to investigate the stories surrounding the abandoned school building.

The next day, on the way to school, Mai passes the school building in question. While examining a strange camera she spotted inside, she gets surprised by Kazuya's assistant. Unknowingly interfering with the investigation, Mai breaks the camera and Kazuya's assistant gets injured.

Kazuya forcefully hires Mai in order to pay for the camera and replace his injured assistant. From that point on, Mai begins to learn about the paranormal world and the profession of ghost hunting.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 6/10

Opinion: Ghost hunt is one of those shows that people will love and hate. A real Sword art online, if you will. Although, I can't say I loved Ghost hunt, I also can't say I hated it. I'll explain. Here's my review of Ghost Hunt.

So, beginning with our plot, It was kinda random. They went off and, well, hunted ghost. They went through many cases during the length of the show, some taking more episodes than others. The only thing I'd classify as chronological were the developments between characters from case to case. The thoughts, feelings, people and information remained constant throughout the story and was added onto quite frequently. However, there was no solid variables that connected one case to another. Which, in a sense is realistic to a degree.

Probably the largest issue I had with the story was the genres and writing a lot of the time. This anime is about spirits. It's a mystery horror. Personally it isn't quite on the necessary level for horror, but I digress. So, now I ask, why the hell is a mystery, horror anime also a comedy, SHOUJO!? Who in their right mind decided it was a good idea to add comedy and halfhearted romance to this series!? And so, because of this terrible mistake, the show's plot suffered greatly. What's worse is that this romance went absolutely no where. Outside of a few romanized dreams, smiles and far too many blushing moments, the "Romance" of this series fell flat on it's ass and never got back up. Also, the comedy injected into the story just wasn't funny, and was horribly timed.

I feel the need to just state, the anime was boring. A lot of the time the cases were simple, boring things that failed at capturing my full attention. Even towards the end of the show, when cases took more sinister turns, I don't think I was ever fully invested in the show.

The art style and animation weren't super amazing. The style is an older one, and all things considered I liked it. I can never fully judge the animation, but from my experience it was great, and I had no issues when watching it.

I absolutely detested the music here. I'm generally not a fan of wordless music, and unless it's really good that feeling doesn't change. So, I didn't enjoy the opening, which last longer than most others do. Then the ending song wasn't very good either. On top of it all, none other OST tracks caught my attention. The soundtrack was poorly done.

There isn't much to cover here, but let's talk about the characters. I must say, for a longer series this cast was terrible. Honestly, the cast was boring, hardly developed and had no depth to them. For the most part the only thing separating them all was what type of spiritualist they were, and I dunno, their hair color? They were all so basic, with nothing to add onto them. They didn't really change throughout the show. The biggest change of all was Monk's haircut. Oh, and the protagonist never changed. He was and always will be a huge asshole.

This anime was hardly above average, and not worth watching in a lot of cases. If you want a good horror check out Deadman Wonderland or Corpse Party. This show doesn't deliver on any of it's genres.

Favorite character:

Hara Masako

Favorite part:

***Average***

Plot: 70

Op: 60

Character's: 80

Art style: 70

Enjoyment: 80

Ghost hunt average: 72 (D level anime)