Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

***Anime information***

Seasons: 1

Episodes: 27

Episode length: 24:00

Genre: Action, Adventure, Mecha, Sci-fi, Comedy

Viewers rating: 9/10

Opening: Sorairo Days

Ending: UNDERGROUND

Plot: plain view, prompting Simon and Kamina to set off on a journey alongside Yoko to explore the wastelands of the surface. Soon, they join the fight against the "Beastmen," humanoid creatures that terrorize the remnants of humanity in powerful robots called "Gunmen." Although they face some challenges and setbacks, the trio bravely fights these new enemies alongside other survivors to reclaim the surface, while slowly unraveling a galaxy-sized mystery.

***personal input***

Personal rating: 9/10

Opinion: Before I begin, it's the first anime I've finished in 2017! So yay for that. But that isn't important right now, what is, is this anime. If you're unaware of this anime, then I'm happy I'm able to share my thoughts on it. Please, let us begin.

First, the story, simply put it was absolutely phenomenal! Towards the beginning I was hesitant, in fact I found it all to be really weird and even boring. It just seemed like a repetitive concept and I was quick to drop the show. Thankfully I finish just about everything, and so I continued with this. The anime had some surprises up it's sleeve, such as the sudden death of possibly the protagonist for half of the show.

The anime came off to me as a hardcore shounen, and so I figured plot armor would take action, but that wasn't the case at all. With the death of a heavily important character, many others followed after, as many other main characters were indeed killed near the end.

There was also the romance card that had been played. With Yoko confessing her feelings right before a huge battle, it angered me that she was left alone after that battle. I very much shipped her with Kamina. There was also Simon and Nia in the later episodes. These were also shipped by me, and so I was happy about that.

One other really big plot point I'd like to point out is the seven year transaction into the future. With the reclaiming of the surface, I had no idea what they'd do for the remainder of the show. I think this time skip was a genius move, and it allowed me to see more of the younger characters as they had grown. This was an amazing story that scored almost perfect in my eyes and shouldn't be avoided for any reasons with the enforcement of the three episode rule.

The show had such great pacing, even with such a huge time skip, that in itself is hard to muster. It had full control of itself and he us believable emotion for the situation, it really has done almost everything well. Even the ending the absolutely amazing. It wrapped everything us by diving further into the future and quickly giving glances at everyone's life right before the end. It was a perfect ending for the series that made completely logical sense.

Secondly there is animation and art style. Oh boy, I have quite the opinion regarding this style. A lot of people would say the visuals are trash, or plain weird, and they're absolutely right. The art style was incredibly odd, and honestly really ugly for a large portion of the show. However, as the shoe progressed it grew on me, like most things do. I had the same situation regarding the AOT art style when I'd watched it. The more I watched the show the more befitting the style was. Given an interesting look at this over the top series. The animation however was splendid. In every fight, in the simple movements, you can see the amazing effort out into the animation behind the characters and genmen.

Next is, soundtracks. Simple. The anime had one opening and one ending throughout it's length. This itself was upsetting a but, as I'm used to longer series having more than one intro and o
Ending. However, since the two songs were amazing, I found that they were suitable for the entire series.

And finally, the spine of the show, half it's greatness, the characters!

I found myself in love with every single main, side, supporting, background and underground character there was. This show had one of the weirdest, but one of the best character cast I've seen in a long time. It amazed me even more that by the end, I'd come to favorite some characters without realizing it myself. This was only the first sign of how grand the character cast is. This is probably one of the larges cast I've seen also.

In all reality, the show is amazing. Without question, a personal favorite. If you can get past the art style and slightly boring start, I think you can love it as much as I. It's full of surprises,  and other things that help define it as the fantastic series it is. I heavily recommend this to anyone.

Favorite character:

Yoko

viral

Favorite part:

***Average***

Plot: 90

Op: 90

Character's: 96

Art style: 78

Enjoyment: 98

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann average: 90 (B level anime)