10

Raegan's POV

"Ms. Raegan, are you still there?" he spoke.

I nodded as if he could see me through the phone.

"Yes, sir. What happened," I asked. I looked over at Chris to see his eyes glued to my face. He mouthed, "Put it on speaker," and I gladly followed his order. My phone fell silent as I pressed the speakerphone button.

"Go on," I said irritably.

"Your parents were in a harrowing accident and I'm sorry to tell you that they did not survive."

I stared at the phone while he continued to explain the six car pile-up caused by a drunk driver. My eyes began to water as he asked me to identify their bodies using their driver's licenses.

"How old are you, Raegan," he asked lowly.

"18 sir," I croaked through my tears.

"Are you going to be capable to take care of Henry on your own, or do you need assistance?"

"I can take care of him myself, sir."

I looked over to Chris's face as he rubbed my back in tiny counterclockwise circles. The conversation between me and the detective ended and I lay back on the bed with my knees cradled to my chest. The tears flowed from my eyes as I thought of ways to tell Henry about our parents. Chris took his thumb and rubbed my tears away as he guarded me with all his might. I began to question myself. Was it because I was about to lie to them? Was it because I wasn't grateful for them? I began to sob into my pillow as I felt Chris slip his hand under my waist.

"Come here," he whispered, "it's going to be okay, Raegan. I won't let you do this alone. I know we don't know each other well, but I promise I won't leave you until you want me to."

I stared at his face and slowly put my head in the crook of his neck. He began to tangle his fingers in my hair as I calmed down. I let my eyes trail down to his chest and my hand grazed his scars slowly. My fingertips gracefully touched his body and he did not resist it.

"Raegan, you alright," Henry asked.

I looked up at Chris and he nodded as if he were telling me the time was now to tell Henry about our parents. Henry sat down and stared at me as if he were lurking within my soul.

"Tell me, Raegan. What happened?"

"Henry, Mom and Dad died..." I trailed off.

Henry's lips began to form a smile as he began to chuckle.

"You're joking right? This isn't funny. Raegan...tell me you're joking," he pressed.

"I'm not joking." I replied blankly.

Henry stood up and turned towards the door.

"Take a walk, Henry. Be back by 11. I understand," was all I could say before he jetted out of the door.

I put my face back into Chris's neck as he continued to rub my back.

Chris's POV

I kept my eyes glued to the ceiling as Raegan traced one of my scars. This was beginning to be too much for me to handle, but I didn't want to leave her. She had gotten up a few minutes ago to change into a thin strapped tank top and a pair of black shorts that barely sat a fourth of the way down her thighs. I have to say, her body was beautiful. Her dark brown skin connected in a way that would make anyone wish they could have it in their possession. Her cries died down into the after-cry sniffles and I stopped rubbing her back. She sat up and looked at me while I played with the ruffles in her sheets.

"Chris," she whispered.

I looked over to her and she seemed to be fighting herself on whether or not she should ask me what she was going to ask.

"Can I um..," she let her voice fade off into the distance.

My face turned and she let out a sigh.

"Can I kiss you again," she blurted out quickly.

I nodded slowly as she leaned over to let her lips meet mine.

This is wrong. This is wrong. The phrase repeated in my mind as I let my hand grip the back of her neck. She began to let out soft puffs as the warmth in her body rose. Soon, she was straddling my lap and I didn't mind it. I let my hands roam her sides as our innocent kiss turned into and intense make-out session. This is wrong. This is wrong. Although this played in my head, I let her tongue intertwine with mine. I pulled away slowly to catch my breath. It has been a long time since I've done this.

"What did you stop for," she investigated.

"Um...This is wrong, you know."

"But I want this. I want you."

I want you. Her words repeated in my head as I contemplated what to do.

"Not now. This is fast, don't you think," I questioned.

"Please Chris. Make me feel good. Make me feel better."

I sat up from the bed and rubbed my face slowly. I looked up and stared her in the eye. I let my eyes seep deeply into her soul. I could feel her resistance and fear rise in her body as I roamed my eyes into her. I did not blink as I gave her what she asked for, for so long; I was looking her in the eye. I let my eyelids shut slowly as I looked away. She let out a much needed gasp for air and tried to recover herself.

"Wow," was all she could say before Henry rushed into the house.

"MALCOLM IS COMING RAEGAN," he yelled from the bottom step. He sounded as if he were out of breath.

"Hurry up Raegan! Get Chris out of here!"

I stood up from the bed, throwing on my shoes. I ran down the stairs and ran towards the back door. As my right foot hit her hardwood floors, the front door flew open.

"Raegan, get your a** down here now! I swear when I get my hands on you, you will have hell to pay. You better pray to your God that I let you live this time," Malcolm barked through the house.

I slipped into an enclosed closet while he continued to bark degrading names and phrases at her.

"Malcolm, what is your problem," Raegan's voice carried.

"Shut up, Raegan. I know that homeless b*tch is in here. I should kill you," he yelled.

I slowly revealed myself from the closet with fury running through my body.

"Oh, you? I remember you running up on me in the hallway while I was handling my own. You wanted her all along didn't you," he chuckled.

I stood and stared at his figure before he let out an obnoxious laugh.

"Answer me, b*tch. Or should I say b*tch a** nigga?"

At that point I tackled Malcolm to the ground. We scrambled around on the floor before I felt cold metal hit my skin. I quickly scrambled to my feet and pushed Raegan behind me.

He had a gun...