Chapter 16

Kise's Pov

I stayed by Aomine's side as we walked through the party, being stopped by people for conversations. My grip on his hand was tight and he occasionally squeezed it to calm me down. Many people walked over to congratulate us on our reputation and our bonding. I noticed many people crowding around us and the other scions. Momoi stayed beside me, also the centre of attention. Many vampires asked her to join them and she refused them all politely. After what felt like hours we were finally alone in a nook and I slumped against Aomine's chest with a sigh. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed the top of my head.

"How are you going Kise?"

"I am exhausted and I haven't even done anything!"

"It is exhausting dealing with all of these people. They smile but on the inside they are plotting ways to get in our favour and thus get closer to Akashi. You will always have to be on guard."

"That's something I don't understand. They approach all of us but nobody really bothered Akashi. They just greeted him and moved on while he stayed and talked to the council members. Why is that?"

"It's all just the way the food chain works in this place. Since Akashi has refused to take the throne now he is just another pure blood but in reality he is the emperor of all vampires and answerable to no one. You don't notice it because he is your creator but the aura around him intimidates lesser vampires."

I rested my head back on his chest again and we stood like that for a moment longer before Aomine cocked his head and sighed.

"I have to go and check the perimeter again."

As he said that Momoi appeared as he must have called her through their bond.

"Stay together I won't be long."

He kissed me gently before gliding through the crowd, expertly weaving through and disappearing with ease. I left the safety of the alcove and felt eyes on me again. Momoi linked her arm through mine and smiled at the incoming vampires we hadn't greeted yet. She was talking to an old looking vampire when I suddenly felt a chill and turned to meet grey eyes. Haizaki smiled as his eyes roved over my body, making me feel disgusted.

"Well I must say, immortality suits you. You're scent is even more intoxicating then when you were a human."

Before I could move I found Momoi standing beside me, a forced smile on her face and Midorima and Takao were in front of me.

"Ah master Haizaki. It has been quite some time since we last met you. I believe our master would like to catch up."

Momoi gently tugged on my arm and we started to slip away but stopped when I heard my name.

"Of course I will greet him but first I just wanted to express my deepest condolences to Kise over the death of his entire village. What a tragedy that was."

My blood turned to ice at his words and I turned slowly, ignoring Momoi's painful grip on my arm to glare at Haizaki who was smiling, his eyes fixated on me. By this time the other pure bloods around us recognized the tension in the air and were turning to watch events unfold.

"I heard that less than a twelfth of the population survived and that you yourself almost died. What a horrible incident. But then again, it was only cattle, they will breed again."

"You dare"- I started forward but there was a flash of red in my vision and I saw Akashi beside me, his hand gripping my arm and I froze from the order in his mismatched eyes. Akashi turned to Haizaki and I was glad I wasn't the receiver of his glare and the ice in his voice.