.05

~~ Linnéa Yari Brown ~~
Sunday November 23rd 2014
Texas, USA

"He's good to play. I think he'll be okay" I say to coach.

"Are you sure?" Coach asks.

"He was fine during warm ups." Ronnie says.

"I'll go check on him just to make sure but coach. He'll be fine." I say before walking to the locker rooms.

"Rashad" I say as I approach him.

"Can't I play? I gotta go out there" he says panicked.

"Nah you can play. Just lemme make sure"

"Don't just make sure and then I can't play" I crouch down by his leg.

"I'm on your side. I can't use oil so it might hurt a little but it'll be okay"

"Do what you gotta do" I begin massaging his leg.

"Why does he get a massage before a game?" Odell asks complaining.

"Go sit and listen to some music Odell" he walks off in a huff.

"How'd you know he likes music before a game?" Rashad asks. Some of the boys are suspecting that something is there between us and I'm not going to fuel it. 

"Because he always does it. How does that feel now?"

"Good. It's good."

"I'll be on the bench if you need me" I walk through all the boys to my wide receivers. I stand in front of Odell and put my hand out. He grasps it, thinking he's funny.

"Odell" he stretches his arm out and I begin massaging his right upper arm, down to his forearm.

"We're good to go." I say as I watch him flex his arm.

"Good luck out there boys" I say as I walk out of the locker rooms. I find my place on the bench at the front. Cullen is sat with Bryson who insisted on coming to the game.

"Sista yuh addi best inna di world" he says as he hugs me sideways.

"I know I am. Thanks for looking after him C" I say with a smile.

**
I witnessed the entire thing, with front row seats as it played out in front of me. Manning threw the ball and did a damn good job. But not as good as Odell.

He ran across that field like his life depended on it and when he took that leap of faith backwards, whilst somebody was on his heels... That was it. I didn't expected him to use his right arm since we've been working on it recently but he did.

He reached out for that ball, with one hand, and caught it before hitting the ground. Touch down. Damn that boy flew like he was a damn bird. Or more like a fish skimming across the top of the water.

And judging by the cheers that I'm hearing behind me, he's the best rookie wide receiver they've ever seen. That one handed catch was amazing. Even Bryson can't believe what he just saw.

He throws the ball up in the air and praises himself for being the man. Of course his team come to him and cheer him on louder than the entire stadium.