t w e n t y - t h r e e

——— 私たちは違っていなかった ———

The next day, Megan went to the playground. She half expected Duncan not to turn up again but Duncan didn't allow that to happen.

"Hello Megan." Duncan spoke as he hopped onto the swing besides her with a grin.

"Yeah hi Duncan." Megan replied before glancing over to her right to avoid eye contact.

"Anyway I thought we might want to get to know each other. Since we made acquaintance yesterday." Duncan mumbled as Megan threw a questioning look at Duncan.

"So what's your hobbies before you ended in this place?" Duncan nudged his head towards the playground and Megan bit her lips.

"Hobbies? I don't have any."

After all the bullshit that happened to me that is. Megan slyly wanted to add that but she was afraid Duncan would dig up more about the 'bullshit' that happened.

"I won't accept that."

Megan frowned as she asked,"So what do you accept?"

"You with or without the scar." Duncan grinned and immediately Megan recalled about her bloody scar that was still there.

Megan felt flattered but she knew better.

Megan shook her head and retorted,"Are you trying to hit on me? People tend to say 'yeah I'll accept you even if you got a scar' but turns out they leave after a few days or so after you've gotten a bloody scar."

"My dad had a scar like yours." Duncan replied calmly and Megan immediately stopped and listened.

"He was part of the army so you would most probably know how he got it from there." Duncan looked to his feet.

"What happened to him?"

"He sadly got made fun of till he was driven to –"

"Suicide." Megan finished off in disbelief as Duncan let out a catastrophic sob. Megan instinctively patted his shoulder while trying to comfort.

"So this was why you approached me?" Megan finally asked as he looked up and nodded.

"I mean yeah. You reminded me of my dad and believe me, I wasn't too happy when I saw you because every time I get reminded of my dad." Duncan exhaled and paused momentarily before continuing.

"But I guess there was a connection so I just decided to wing it." Duncan smiled sadly before glancing over to his left.

"I should probably go now. Sorry to ruin your mood princess." Duncan hopped off the swing and smiled apologetically.

Megan nodded although truthfully, she wanted him to stay but he probably had to go to his mother's ward sooner or later.

Megan watched Duncan walk away and she realised something.

That they weren't different at all.