Chapter 34

Fun fact: The excessive tilting of heads in my story is actually an animal like trait that all the werewolves in my story posses; especially since they are basically. . . part animal. Other strange traits are: nose to nose nudging, neck nuzzling, teeth baring, teeth snapping, and the usual growling and snarling.

Elliot's POV

"Mind. . . link?" I said the words carefully as I looked up at at Deimos, who kept his eyes straight ahead. "Yeah, Mindlink. Do you know it?" He asked once more, waiting almost impatiently for a reply. I pulled his black coat tightly against my body before I thought up a reply. "Marley talked about it a few times. S-she said that werewolves used to read each other's minds and-"

"Do you know how to do it, Elliot?"

His abrupt interjection halted my words immediately. "H-how to do it? N-no, no I don't", I said, nervously biting the inside of my cheeks. He grunted in response.

Ever since Thaddeus left, ever since we continued along the path he left for us, Deimos' tolerance of me. . . dropped.

I don't know why, but he suddenly began acting strange around me. He became distant, irritable, and colder than the chilling climate that resided around us. Sometimes I thought that he did it on purpose, but then at other times, I believed that he didn't even know that he was doing it. Either way, his silence and his strange behavior bothered me greatly. 

He also picked up a new habit.

At some point in time along the path, he began scratching the marks on his neck. At first, he did it slightly, only a couple of times. Then he began scratching it until it bled. 

I glanced at the Marks along his neck. The scratching made most his neck turn red, and the Marks still looked slightly raw and irritated.

He scratched at it again.

This time I couldn't ignore it. I acted unconsciously, I moved automatically. My arms reached out to his, grabbing the hand that scratched at the Marks. I didn't know why, but I couldn't keep seeing him this way. I didn't know much about Matebonds, but I never saw a Mated pair scratch at their Marks before. Something was wrong with him, and the tiny bond within me didn't like it. Neither did I.

His amazingly silver eyes snapped down to his arm, then looked over to me. We stopped walking and simply stared at each other, neither of us looking away.

"What's wrong Elliot?" Deimos' flat tone finally broke through the silence, and I searched my mind desperately for a response.

"Elliot."

I flinched as his tone got darker, and more irritated. I felt tears gather at the corner of my eyes, but I quickly blinked to drive them away. I wasn't sure what to do at that point, so I simply did what I thought was right.

I raised my hand up to his neck and touched his Mark, Hoping that my touch would somehow soothe it. The sparks I felt was ten times more intense at his Mark than any other part of his body that I had touched-

He smacked away my hand.

He smacked it away as if it was a hot branding tool. His eyes were dark, really dark. It was filled with so much anger that I had to take a step back. His muscles tightened made his body look taut and rigid.

He looked as though he was preparing for an intruder.

Then suddenly, like the flip of a switch, his anger disappeared. He stood still for a moment, then slowly refocused on my form. A flash of regret graced his features before that too disappeared.