Surprise!

When we got to the door a man was standing at the button machine.

"Excuse me." Kian said quietly, trying to get around him. He slapped Kian's hand away.

"This here machine is broke. Can't be using it today. I'll unlock the door and you can just knock on whoever's door." He said, opening the door and ushering us in. 

"Ricky, do you know what this means?" Kian said, looking at me with stars in his eyes. I gave a genuine smile.

"What, Kian?"

"We can surprise her! She'll be so happy! You know, I've been thinking I might propose today. Get it out of the way. I'm nervous Ricky." He said, looking over at me as we stood in the elevator. Keep the act up Ricky. You're happy for him.

"That's a great idea. You'll do great, don't worry. She'd be an idiot to reject a proposal from you." I laughed, hugging him to me. He hugged me back so hard I almost forgot I was about to lose him to my worst enemy. Almost. The elevator dinged and he backed off. 

"My hair looks alright?" He asked, trying desperately to get a clear view of his hair in the metal of the elevator. I reached over and fixed a piece of his quiff that had fallen out of place.

"It looks perfect, Kian, stop worrying." I reassured. He smiled.

"I'm glad you're here with me, other half." He meant it jokingly and I knew it, but I swear my heart dropped to my feet when he said that. He reached out to knock on the door that would change the rest of his life when it opened. Kian stood there looking dumbfounded at the muscular blonde that was standing in front of us.

"Uh, can I help you?" He looked exactly like what you'd picture a professional surfer to look like. Wavy blonde hair, blue eyes, and huge muscles.

"I-I-I must have the wrong apartment. I'm sorry." Kian mumbled. I started to turn around when someone called out from behind Mr. Muscles.

"Who is it babe? Is it that old guy who was repairing the machine? He told me he'd stop in later." That was definitely Andrea. 

"No, some gay couple. Maybe they're passing out anti-bibles or something." That didn't even make sense. He was so ignorant. Oh my God, Kian. I hadn't even looked to see how he'd reacted! I quickly looked over at him. He looked like a zombie. His mouth hung open and his eyes were out of focus. He was obviously deep in thought. The roses he'd planned on giving to his future wife laid crumpled on the floor.

"Okay, what do you guys want? We were about to leave. Date night." He said, making move-it-along motions with his hand.

"Actually, we seem to have forgotten our anti-bibles in the car, maybe we'll just skip your apartment." I snapped, grabbing Kian's sweaty hand and dragging him toward the elevator. I doubt he could take the stairs in this state. As soon as the doors closed I pulled him to me in a hug.

"Kian, I know it's hard to believe but this is a good thing. If it hadn't of happened you might have married her and never known she was cheating." I felt him shaking his head into my shoulder.

"This is my fault, I chose you over her. She never would have done this if I had of treated her right." 

"So you regret it then? Choosing me over her?" I said, backing out of the hug and folding my arms. Kian looked at me like I was insane.

"Wow, thanks for the fucking support Ricky. It's always about you, isn't it?" He accused. The elevator bell rang before I could reply and Kian was speed-walking to the car ahead of me. I started jogging to catch up with him. By the time I caught up he was already in the car, in the passenger's side. He probably didn't trust himself to drive right now. I got in the driver's and turned to comfort Kian. He shoved the keys in my face just as I was opening my mouth. 

"Kian, I'm s-"

"Ricky, just be quiet, please." He said, looking out the window. I looked down at his hands, he was fiddling with something. After a couple seconds I seen a flash of gold. Andrea's ring. I almost said something but thought better of it when I seen a tear fall from Kian's chin. It physically hurt me to see him like this. But what hurt me even more was that he blamed me for it. Was it my fault? I turned the key in the ignition and tried my hardest to keep my eyes on the road on the way home.