Chapter 13

An unyielding and uncontrollable anger has me by the throat.

I had known as soon as Eric had arrived on the scene that he would go after Tris. I knew he would pick her over me at any given chance.

He knew what it would do to me. It would strangle me and it would kill me far more than it ever would for him to have chosen to beat and hook me.

And d*** did he know that she was my weakness.

I was already on foot and running at full speed. As soon as Eric had taken off after Tris I was already at my feet in swollen fury.

I was not about to let a little head trauma stop me from getting between Eric and Tris.

I am rushing past trees and tall grasses now, my heart pounding and my legs soaring. Ahead of me was the tower already and I am just about to vault over a lone brick wall when I hear a scream come from up ahead somewhere and my heart snags within me.

Tris!

My mouth is dry and my teeth are clenched.

I would never let Eric get away with any of this. I would never have to be reminded of whose fault was it that gave our positions away either. Christina had obviously chosen to be the fed-up coward she was.

And I would never have to recall the fact that I had just 'sat' there literally while Tris took the wrath for me. She had taken the punishment for my slowness to consciousness and my faulty at the situation.

I slam myself into the tower's building but as I snap my eyes around the room, there is no sign of Eric nor Tris.

D***, where are they?

Complete fear and anger was beginning to twist my mind. I had to find Tris. I had to make sure every little bit of her was okay.

It is then that my senses catch the sound of someone beginning to sob frantically close by just outside. That voice. Of course my Tris is hurt... And it's all thanks to me.

Where is she, where is she, where is she?

I jerk my entire body around and hurry back outside the tower building now. I am just rounding a corner when I finally suddenly spot Tris and my heartrate skips a beat. My fists curl and my body goes rigid.

I do not like what I see.

From afar, I can already tell that Tris has been hit once previously by Eric's sledgehammer and she is limping now, with one of her hands clutching at her side. Her posture sags and her pace was slowing with every few stride she took.

It was only a matter of time.

Her eyes light up now when she sees me suddenly though, and it is then that I spot Eric, charging behind her and at her with his eyes holding a dire and aggressive gleam.

No longer.

I am already moving forward now, my eyes pinning the man of whom I was about to pound.

"Eric!" I growl with each long stride, Tris limping towards me in panic and for shelter.

"Four! So kind of you to join us!" Is all Eric calls out though as he spots me, a smirk beginning to carve it's way onto his face and I just narrow my eyes fiercely. I also do not fail to notice a slight decrease in his movement speed next and immediately I am suspicious by it.

Tris however was now only about a few feet away from me, and I was going to do this. I was going to protect her from this fate. Even if it meant sacrificing myself.

"You've touched her for the very las ti-!" I begin with a firmly threatening voice. But then it happens. And I am unable to finish my sentence.

I am cut off by a sudden jolt beneath one of my feet and instantly there comes an immense pain upon my left foot and ankle. I let out a terribly loud yell as something hard and metal grasps around my foot and claims me and strains me down. There comes a loud snapping noise.

Tris, who is only a few feet in front of me, stops dead in her tracks, her eyes on me and her face displaying nothing but horror now.

"T-Tobias!" She screams, but I cannot obtain my senses to hear her very well.

Anguish and incredible pain skews my vision and I am on my knees and into the dark grasses within a second.

My world was shattering before me and already blotchy colors of black and purple were beginning to invade my visualization.

My eyes cut downwards with lightning speed next to simply perceive what may be my hindrance. I find that I have stepped in a fixed bear trap of some sort and I blink in disbelief at myself. The serrated jaws of the trap were clamped securely around my left foot, it's blades cutting into me madly and without mercy.

Now I understood why Eric had smirked at me and why he had slowed his speed. He had everything deliberately planned out the whole time.

I was too confident and too assertive.

He had tricked me and he had won. He had won this fight which had not even begun yet.

Before me now I could only watch as Eric then just slowly began approaching Tris from behind once more, his sledgehammer poised and ready to strike her beautiful existence.

But I could do nothing.

My thoughts were gone. My words were gone. And so was my anger.

All was replaced by fear.