Chapter 56

Jessica's POV

They let Colin stay with me the past few days. We had picked out a bed and some new clothes for him. I love having him around. He makes it easier to get up in the morning. And plus he's the best little boy I could have asked for.

I ruffled his hair as I gave him a kiss on the forehead before turning off his lights and then closing the door.

I smiled as I walked back downstairs to sit with Lauren and watch a movie. Lauren smiled as I sat down on the couch. "It's fun having this little guy around."

"I do too." I said with a smile as she scrolled through the movies on on demand.

My phone began to buzz on the table. I reached forward and picked up the phone. My heart began to race as the I saw the orphanage was calling. "You gotta answer it." Lauren said as she leaned back from when she was looking at my phone screen.

I nodded as I slid my finger across the screen before raising it to my ear. "Hello, Jessica Ken speaking."

"Hello Ms. Ken, this is the miss from the orphanage. I would like to tell you the good news that your paperwork went through and your adoption has been processed. Congratulations on your adoption!" A huge smile spread scored my face as my eyes filled with tears.

"Thank you." I whispered. Tears then rolled down my face.

"No problem. You can pick up the last of Colin's clothes this week."

"You can give them to another child. They might need them more."

"Alright. Congratulations again." She said before she hung up.

I slowly put the pond down and looked to Lauren. I laughed a little as I tried to wipe the tears away. "He's now my son."

~*~

I stood on the front porch and raised the phone to my ear. I leaned back against the chipping white column and looked up toward the starry sky.

"Hello?" A raspy voice said as he answered the phone.

"Hi Louis. It's Jessica. Long time no talk."

"Oh, hey Jess! It really has been awhile." Louis replied. I could hear the smile in his voice, the excitement. And I could easily imagine the glint in his sea blue green eyes. "So what have you called for?"

"I called-" I stopped as I took a deep breath, looking down at the grey wood of the steps and brushing my sock covered toes against the wood. "I just wanted to say thank you. I know I didn't warn you about using you as a reference and all."

"I was happy to help. And I assume he's your son now."

I nodded. "Yeah. Part thanks to you."

"It's not a big deal." He said with a chuckle. I could imagine him running his fingers through his hair as he was lying in bed and staring at the ceiling and I couldn't help but smile.

"It is. It means a whole lot to me."

We sat on the line in silence for a moment before he said "Hey if that's all you need can we talk another time? This is one of my days off and all."

"Oh I'm sorry. There was one more thing I wanted to say." My voice quieter then it was before as my heart began to pound in my chest.

"What might that be?"

"I wanted to give you another chance and if you still want to I'd want to start over." I chewed my bottom lip as I looked back up at the sky.

"I'd love that Jess." A smile spread across my face.

"Hello my name is Jessica Ken. I'm very excited to make your acquaintance."

I heard his chuckle on the other end of the phone as he replied. "Hi. I'm Louis Tomlinson and I'm excited to get to know you."