Chapter 13

Adventure of a Life Time  

Chapter 13 

By the time they got everyone that was wounded by the attack to the there wagons, they had ten women with minor wounds and three with critically wounded. One of the women that were seriously wounded the woman that had been fighting off the man from the very beginning, where Lori and David thought she was fighting with her clothes. 

Lori and David soon found out that her name is Katie May Jones and was a grandmother of two little girls. The girl's names are Mary Lou, four years old and her sister is Sherri Lee, who is six years old. Both of the girl's parents had been killed from an Indian attack near their home. Luckily, the little girls were found out in the chicken house, where they had been gathering eggs, when the attack had started. 

Katie May Jones has a broken shoulder, plus a head wound, while the other lady Willa Smith, she's only twenty - one years old, plus she has a head wound, and a bullet wound in right shoulder that went through to her back. 

The third woman Misty Thomas, she had been stabbed in her back with a knife nearly hitting her heart, but somehow she was still breathing. She's a twenty- four years old woman; she's been married for five years, and she has four children, a little girl Janie that's one year old, three small boys, Tim who is three and two twins' boys, Willy and Mark who will be five in six mouths. 

Couple of the other women who was not hurt during the attack are watching the children for the mothers while they are been taken care of by Dr. Mathew and his wife Peggy Sue. Who has been traveling with the wagon train from the beginning? 

Doctor Mathew and Peggy Sue, both climbed out the wagon where they had Kate May's resting, when he saw her husband standing close by. Doctor Mathew said has he been walking toward Cole Jones, "I have done all I can for her, now it's in God's hands. After resetting her shoulder, she said something funny to me something about getting that old scout Billy, that he could help her. Why don't you go and get him and see what he says. I will have someone else stay with her while you are gone. Don't you worry, Cole?" Then the doctor Mathew and his wife walks away, as Cole left to try and find Billy and tell him what he had said. 

When Cole finally found Billy, he told Billy what the old doctor had said. Billy then went walked over to his saddlebag, dug around inside until he found what he was looking for. Then he turned around before saying, "I have some herbs from an old Indian medicine man I knew, he gave me a list of herds that are good for all scourers of things, when the last time I was in his village. Now I need to find some red mud with black streaks mixed through in it, then I need a lot of hot water and some clean rags. When you have found the clean rags and several buckets of hot water bring them it to the wagon. I will meet you there with the red mud and my herds. " 

Cole went down to the river bank with several buckets to put water, and got the fire going and started heating the water. While the water was heating up, he then went looking for the clean rags. Once the water had come to a boil, he took them to his wagon where his wife was and waited for Billy to come.  

Billy found the red mud with black the streaks not far from the river, where water ran down a small hill into the river. Once he got to the wagon where Cole's wife laid inside, he went to work in trying to save this woman life. He took a small bowl sprinkling some of the herbs inside the bowl, and then poured hot water until he made a paste. Once he had, it made way the old medicine man had shown him. Billy then packed her wound in her thigh and did the same with her stomach wound. Then Bill took some of the red mud and packed the wounds before taking the clean rags wrapping the wounds as tightly as he could, without cutting off the blood supply. 

Billy glances over toward Cole before saying, "This should stop the bleeding, while the herds will help with the healing. The red mud will help with fighting the infection. Now we wait and hopefully in a few hours I can tell you more if it's working the way it should." Then Billy got up, stepped out of the wagon, and walked away to his own campsite.