Chapter 42

Adventure of a Life Time 

Chapter 42 

They finally arrive back at the campsite where the wagon train was at just after sunset. Lori and Mark went straight to where Windy and Steve had setup their camp while they been gone. Lori was excited about the news of the location they had found she could hardly keep it in, all her mom and dad said was they would wait until they got there to see the place she was talking about before they would make up their minds, which was only fair. Lori thought that at least they were keeping an open mind about it. Therefore, she was pretty sure they would agree too, about the area after checked it out. 

That night after going to bed that was all Lori could talk about and Mark was so happy to see and to hear his wife say she loved the place where he wanted to build his home. He just hoped his in-laws would be that happy and would want to build their home there too. If they did not he did not know what that would do to his wife's well-being. However, he could see the excitement in her eyes and hear it in her voice that she was hoping as much as he was that they would love that place as much as they do. However, had to keep telling his self that time would tell, but either way he was going to build their home there right where Lori said she wanted it, one way or another. 

That night he dreamed of his horse ranch and the name, they would call their ranch, the W. D. for Wyoming Dream, because that is what it was, a dream that he was hoping that would come true one day if they worked it really hard and put their love and sweat into it. Their dream would come true for both of them. He just had to make sure her parents were on broad too.  

The next morning Lori woke up with a smile on her face, talking a blue streak about how beautiful the place where they wanted to life and build their ranch. 

All Mark could do was smile and laugh with her as she kept talking about their dream home they were going to build. He just hopes she would not be disappointed if her mom and dad did not want the same dream. He kept trying to tell her that time would tell once they saw the area. Then they could make their only mind up and that she could not make them want something just because she wanted it.  

After braking camp and getting back on the trail traveling to where they had made camp of their dreams, Steve rode up beside Mark as he rode up ahead of the wagon. 

"Mark I wanted to talk to you about something if you don't mine. Mark what are going to do about your job back east. Are you still going to work for them or work on this ranch you been talking about this morning and last night? Because I can tell, you right now young man you cannot have both worlds. This ranch whether it's a horse ranch or cattle ranch it's going to take all your time and then some, plus it wouldn't be ever wise to leave your wife there to do all the work by herself. She knows enough really about ranching than what I have a taught her when she wanted to listen or learn from her old man. Mark you have to remember she is a young woman and she has had an easy life and out here can make a young woman like her turn old really fast, before her time. So think really hard about what you will be putting her through; do understand what I am saying to you Mark?"  

Mark kept looking ahead as he listens to Steve telling him about his wife. He knew it would not be easy building up the ranch, as they wanted it to be one day. He knew it would not be built over night, but in years of hard work, sweat and tears. However, he knew his wife was willing to work beside him and make this dream come true. He had to believe it and he in believe in his wife too. 

Still looking ahead Mark, answered Steve from his heart and by what he knew was in his soul about his wife's abilities. "Steve I know you think you know your daughter, but you really don't know her at all. Steve I want you to think back when you and your family started on this trip all those months ago, because if you will you will see how much she has grown into a very strange, brave young woman, with the love of life. She isn't some someone who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty like some women we know. You need to have faith in her ability that she knows what she wants in life and let her do it. This what she wants? She is the one who came to me telling me this is what she wanted not the other way around. I did not say anything to her that what I was thinking about too." 

"Mark I know all that. I just don't want her hurt. She is still my baby girl and I want to keep her safe whether she wants it or not. That is what a father wants for his baby girl." 

"Well if that is true Steve, she wants her family to live close by her too and share her dream with her. She told me last night as we were lying in each other's arms, that she could see you building a ranch a few miles from her not couple hundred miles away like Oregon. So think really hard before you make your mind up. You might be the one hurting her not me. And about the job back east I have already sent them a massage right after we were married that I would not be working for them anymore, and I got a massage back from them that they understood and they wished me and my wife well." 

"Ok Mark I hear you, but remember what I have told you and don't push her too hard because you might lose her. You understand me Mark. That is all I am saying." Then he rode off up ahead thinking what lay ahead of him and his family.  

By mid-day, they were going through the pass where they had problems with someone up on top or sides of mountains causing the rock-slides. Billy or Mark had no idea who was up there watching them, they just hope they were long gone and were not watching them now. That was all they needed. 

The wagon train was about mid-way into the pass when all a sudden someone was yelling at them from the side of the mountain we were passing through. 

"You better stop right there where you are at or we are going start shooting! 

Henry and Billy turned their horses around facing where the voice was coming from. After looking around trying to spot who was up there in the rocks yelling at them, Billy finally spotted who they were looking for. He pointed to Henry where the voice was coming from. 

Henry nodded to Billy that he saw them too. He said to Billy in a low voice so it would not carry a feather than to him. "Let's see what this man wants and maybe we can work from there, if not, you make sure this wagon train gets out of here in one piece, you understand me. You never know maybe they just want some food or something as long i's not guns or our women and animals. 

Henry yells out to this man he could see up in the rocks not too far from them, maybe two hundred feet away. "What do you want?" 

The man starts laughing aloud and it was echoing around against the rocks. Then he stops laughing and shouted out. "We want all your money and your guns. If you do that, we will not hurt you and we will let you pass through our land. You don't you will die where you now standing. What will it be?" 

Henry nods his head slowly toward Billy. Billy slowly moves back toward the first wagon and said to driver of the wagon. "Move out and do not stop for anything until we are out of here... Now move!" 

Just as soon as the wagons started moving, the men on top of the mountain started shooting at them. Billy and Henry just hoped no one was hit by the flying bullets. 

Then the ones that was not driving the wagons they had there men and women shooting back as they drove past. Therefore, they had good chance of hitting and wounding some of the men up there in the rocks. 

Within forty-five minutes or longer we were through the pass and could not hear any shots or horses chancing them. Therefore, they were home free for the moments and entering the valley where they had made camp the day before. 

Once they found the old campsite that is where they made camp by the river where they would to cross over to go toward Oregon.