Chapter 19

Adventure of a Life Time  

Chapter 19 

After traveling barely ten miles all day, they had been traveling up and down treacherous mountains not knowing if they would ever get over them, they finally manage to come to a small running river where they would be able to make camp for the night. Everywhere they looked there was red maples trees, limber pines, but among those trees were dozens of plum trees and apple trees, with their fruit hanging there ready for us to start picking. 

Once we made camp for the night, our husbands got there horses and the other livestock feed and watered for the night; while some wives got to work picking plums and apples for their suppers. It wasn't long before you were smelling apples cooking throughout the whole camp.  

After supper that night, with everyone setting around the fire with a full stomach, Windy looked over to where Lori was setting, before asking her, "Would you like to go with me tomorrow picking more of those delicious green apples. I have to say I do not think I have ever tasted anything that good in a long time. You know what I was thinking. We could pick enough of those apples and plums that we could maybe have enough to eat for a few days while we are traveling. Just think we could make a dozens apple dumplings or maybe couple of apple pies. Oh, my God, can you image eating one of those pies, well I can. What do you say? Lori would you please come with me in the morning in helping me picking some of those beautiful apples and plums we saw. Please say yes Lori."  

Lori looked over to her mom who was smiling ear to ear, how she could say no when her mom was smiling like that.  

Lori was smiling too as she answered, "OK. However, let's take a couple of bags or something so we won't be making so many trips going back and forth. In addition, I think I want some of those juicy purple plums too. They were so good I could have eaten another hand full of them. You know mom this kind of reminds me of home, when I would go out back and pick hands full, until I got a belly ache from eating so many plums." 

"I know what you mean, Lori, this place does remind me of home. Just remember tomorrow while you are pulling those apples and plums don't eat more than what you are putting in the bags." Windy starts laughing when she sees her daughter's face, that Lori had that in mind. 

When Windy saw Steve walking toward them, she met him half way letting him know what they were planning to do early next morning. "Lori and I are going to gather more of those apples and plums before I start cooking breakfast. We should be back in a little bit. Oh Steve, you might want to come and check on us and help us carry a couple bags back for us." 

Steve was busy working on his horse's hooves, making sure there were no rocks bedded in their hooves, when Windy found him. He looks up when he saw her walking toward him. He gave her a kiss on her lips before saying, "OK. When I am done here, I will come to help you or I will send David out there. How does that sound to you, Windy? I have to say that might be a little while after we are done here and all. However, I keep thinking about those apple pies you will be able to make for supper, or eating some apples on the trail too. You just pick all you want and doesn't worry able bring them back, we will help you when we get through here." 

Windy winked at her husband before saying. "Well what can I say, I always knew you had a sweet tooth and that just proved it. So I will see you or David in a little while."  

Windy started to walk away when Steve stops her and pulling her into his arms kissing her until her toes was curling inside her shoes.  

Steve whispers by her ear, "Now that is what I call a kiss woman, and don't you forget it. I love you sweetheart. See you in a little while. Be careful out there, OK. We don't know what's out there. Oh Windy be sure to take your rifle with you."