Chapter Nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN 

(For those who know what Ashton’s family looks like, that’s how I picture them in this! The music while writing this chapter is all fro the Frozen soundtrack. Judge me ;) haha I’m obsessed. Be prepared for the next couple of chapters ;) Thanks for the reads, votes, and comments! Love you all!! xx)

HADLEY’S POV

I glanced over at Ashton as he walked up to the front door. I still remembered the walk like the back of my hand. My eyes followed the red brick on the ground leading to the front door. The Irwins didn’t live in the best part of town. They lived in Redfern, New South Wales, Australia. It was the only place that they could afford with only one income from his mum.

Once I stepped up the two small steps leading to the front door, Ashton knocked and hid me behind him. 

“What are you doing?” I bit my lip. The thought that he was embarrassed to be seen with me crossed through my mind. 

“I want to surprise Harry and Lauren,” He whispered as I heard the front door creak open.

“Ash!” Harry screamed and ran to Ashton. I felt Harry’s bottom collide with his older brother’s, causing their bodies to bump into mine.

“Hey, bud,” Ashton chuckled softly and hugged Harry back. Lauren was the next to appear out of the door frame. “Hey, La-La.”

“No one calls me that anymore,” Lauren laughed softly and hugged Ashton.

“I still do,” Ashton grinned and looked inside the small house. “Where’s mum?” Before they could answer, Harry spoke.

“Who’s behind you?” He asked and took a step back.

“Hadley,” He answered dryly.

“I thought you weren’t allowed to see her anymore,” Harry looked at Ashton with a confused expression.

“Harry…” Lauren bit her lip. She must’ve known what happened. We used to be so close up until the night everything went downhill. As dumb as it sounded, I missed having Lauren as a friend even though she was five years younger than me. I had always wanted a little sister and she was he closest person I had to that.

“Seriously, where’s mum?”

“Uh, she’ll be back later,” Lauren answered.

“How long does ‘later’ mean?” Ashton asked, obviously impatient.

“Maybe like ten minutes. Not long,” She replied as Ashton and I stepped into the house and took off our thongs. Literally nothing had changed since the last time I had been there. The same picture of the Sydney skyline hung on the wall behind their old couch. The TV was hung on the same spot, and everything in the kitchen was in the exact same location.

“Ash, can we play football?” Harry asked as he headed to the back door. Ashton laughed softly. Harry was a little too excited to have his brother home again.

“Give me a minute,” Ashton replied as he sat down on the couch. Lauren sat down next to him and turned on the TV, before pulling out her phone. “Do you really need both of those at the same time?” Lauren didn’t answer which made me laugh. She hadn’t changed either. She was still as stubborn.

I leaned back against the wall as I heard the back door open. I turned to look at it, expecting it to be Harry. It wasn’t. It was Brian. I could recognize him from anywhere. My eyes quickly flawed to Ashton who was now frozen to the couch.