Thirty Three

Monroe's POV:

I sat down on my yoga mat as we did the ending pose. "Are you relaxed now?" Ciara asked me and I nodded, smiling. "I didn't know you could do yoga so well." I said before standing up. She smiled and shrugged. "Hidden talent I guess." I chuckled as she looked at Ezra and Phoenix. "Did you two have fun?" She asked and they nodded. "I want to do it again!" Phoenix smiled. She chuckled and stood up, grabbing Ezra. "It'll happen again." We sat down at the table as she took out a fruit salad. I watched her stir before serving four small bowls. "Thanks." I smiled before beginning to eat.

I looked over at Ezra and Phoenix as they ate and smiled to myself. Ciara told me that Ezra and Phoenix were fostered together because they're brothers. Their parents died a year ago from a house fire that left Phoenix and Ezra covered in burns. The burn center did a really good job of healing them physically but they still have the emotional scars. She told me that Phoenix still has night terrors from that terrible night. It's sad that they lost their parents at such a young age. "Mama, can we go to the aquarium?" Phoenix asked her. She smiled and nodded. "Sure." He started to cheer, making Ciara and I chuckle.

Ciara parked in front of the aquarium and turned off her car, making Phoenix quickly take off his seat belt. "Slow down buddy." I smiled and took off Ezra's seat belt. I sat in the back seat with them because they love when I sit with them. "The aquarium is so much fun Moe! It has so many cool animals." He said and started naming off his favorites. We all got out and Ciara put Ezra in his carrier. I grabbed Phoenix's hand as we walked inside.

"The end." I said and closed the book and looked at Phoenix. He was under my covers, tightly holding the stuffed shark Ciara bought him from the aquarium. "That was a good book." He said as I laid down. "I know." I smiled and turned to face him. I ran my fingers through my brown curly hair and bit my lip when I saw the light burn marks on his forehead. He must have noticed I was looking at them because he sat up and touched one. "Mama says that these are my battle scars." He smiled proudly. "They are. You had a tough battle." I smiled. He giggled and nodded before cuddling into my pillow. I smiled and turned off the light.