HUDSON (ONE)

Where Almost Began

I STEPPED on the break when the traffic light turned red. I was tapping my finger on the steering wheel, humming to the beat of Lionel Richie's Stuck On You as I watched people crossed the pedestrian lane when a familiar figure caught my eyes. My heart suddenly started beating in a weird erratic way.

Her long wavy hair that is in the right shade of brown swayed in the air as she comes out of a convenience store on the other side of the road with a plastic bag in her hand. She looked fresh in a crisp white shirt and denim shorts. And even from here I can see her dainty feet in her blue pair of Havaianas.

I smiled when she wrinkled her straight and small nose. Probably because of the cigarette smoke she inhaled from the guy who walked past her. That motherfucker. Sinuklay niya ang buhok at inamoy 'yun. Then, she turned to the guy and made a face. It prolly smelled like cigarette now, too.

Pinanood ko siyang sumabay sa pagtawid ng mga tao. Parang gusto kong bumaba upang hilahin siya pasakay sa kotse ko. Tirik ang araw at wala siyang payong! Her pinkish apple cheeks were turning red and her creamy white skin was glowing under the heat of the sun.

But just like always, wala akong lakas ng loob para gawin 'yun. Sa tatlong beses na nakita ko siya, hindi ako nagkaroon ng lakas ng loob na lapitan siya. Ni wala akong lakas ng loob na itanong kung anong pangalan niya kasi pakiramdam ko wala akong karapatan na malaman 'yun. I feel like I don't deserve to know her. Sa tingin ko naduduwag rin ako sa kanya because she has this intimidating air in her.

It's so fucking weird because I never chickened out of a girl before. I'm pretty damn sure of myself. I build my confidence stronger than King Leonida's coat of arm. Lalo na dahil laking States ako. It's quite a training ground for me to practice my charm on girls there. I know how to use my spell on them so it's really just a walk in the park for me if I like someone.

But she's different.

So, I just always watch her from afar. Like now...

I was awakened from my trance when I felt a soft hand slapped my arm. Nilingon ko si Ate Miranda na nakasimangot sa tabi ko.

"What?" Kunot-noong tanong ko.

"What the fuck are you waiting for? Fucking go!"

Saka ko lang na-realized na naka-go signal na ang traffic light at bumubusina na ang mga sasakyan sa likod ko.

"Shit!" I immediately shifted the gear and off I went.

Ate Miranda mumbled something. Then she's suddenly bitching about stuffs I don't even know. I rolled my eyes while shaking my head. She's always this bratty and I can never get used to it. I want to blame it on my Kuya's-our older guy cousins. They spoiled her too fucking much.

Thank fuck at nakarating agad kami sa bahay ni Lolo. Kung bakit kasi nag-volunteer pa ako na isabay siya papunta dito. Well, they're not allowing her to drive because she has a very bad temper that will most definitely result in multiple road rage incidents. So, being the good cousin that I am, offered to give her a ride that I now regret because all she did the entire time was rant.

We headed to Lolo's backyard where the table was already set. Our aunts and uncles were there. We always gather and spend Saturdays or Sundays at Lolo's mansion. No matter how busy everyone is, we have to make time. My Lolo is such a family man.