Fourteen

"I told her I was lost in this world,
and she smiled,
because she was too.
We were all lost somehow,
but we didn't care,
we had in the chaos,
found each other."

Atticus

After that unforgettable night, Jho and Bea didn't meet again. No phone calls, no messages. It's January and Bea's first term in Enderun is about to start. She informed her friends in advance that she might miss their weekly meetups and promised Maddie that she'll make time for her despite her tight schedule

"I'll visit you in school, okay lang?" Maddie asked while her arms and legs were draped around her body.

"Hassle naman for you. Ako na pupunta sayo."

Maddie pouted. "But I'll miss you."

Bea laughs while stroking Maddie's hair. "Clingy mo talaga Mads. We'll figure things out. Promise ko yan. Focus on your work muna. Besides, I'll graduate in eight months."

"Hay nako, when do I ever get to win an argument with you, Isabel Beatriz?"

"Maybe never."

--

"Welcome aspiring chefs! If you're thinking of taking this course lightly, I'm telling you you're going to regret that..."

Chef Suzette went on discussing the rules and module that they were about to take. For the first month, they're taking up the introductory course in culinary which aims for them to master basic technical skills needed to be a cook.

"It's going to be a tiring month," Bea whispered as she fiddles with her nails.

"We won't want to waste any time. So, off to your working stations!" Chef Suzette clapped twice which caused the students, including her, to scurry to their respective places.

After a long day at school, her hands and arms were beaten. She didn't expected her first day to be that intense. She earned several cuts on her hand and fingers as a result of slicing meat and vegetables according to the request of the chef.

She walked back to her dorm utterly dazed. She took off her uniform and went to take a quick bath. While massaging her hair with shampoo, she remembered it was a few days before Jho's birthday. They haven't talked for almost a month and now she wondered what has happened to her.

When she was fully dressed, she immediately dials Jho's number.

"What a surprise call," Jho welcomed herwith a cold voice.

"Miss me?"  she teased, then bit her lip to suppress a laugh.

"You wish."

Oh, she's back to being bossy and detached. She remarked.

"Sungit naman. Where are you celebrating your birthday?"

"I don't celebrate my birthday either. Thanks for remembering though."

"Be a little excited naman when you're talking to me. Come on Jho, it's been a month."

"Yun na nga it's been a month and no texts or calls from you," Jho hissed. The tiny ache in heart surfaced again.

"I thought you were mad at me. Bigla na lang kasi nagbago yung mood mo a few moments after we-"

"It's not about that, okay? I'm not mad. I'm just," Jho paused and mulled over what to say or if it was safe to say. "shocked by what happened."