Chapter 22

It's day two of new beginnings for Jake and I, and we start the morning first by seeing our family physician. We explain to him that although Jake had some success with the eight weeks of counselling, returning to school on his own again was just too much to manage, and that he took a step backwards in his progress. We also outlined the process that took place the day before at school with SAS and that Jake now requires a medical assessment and the necessary paperwork to be filled out. With this in place Jake would be able to receive the services he needs from the school's counselling department.

Upon hearing all of this, our GP immediately asks, "Are we now ready to accept my earlier diagnosis of Attention Deficit Disorder?"

Jake and I had discussed this ahead of time and both agreed that ADD was definitely something to now consider. The walls of denial must be taken down and I am now accepting that Jake's issues in school may have always stemmed from this possibility. Jake admits that his organizational skills are lacking, he's easily distracted, and has difficulty staying focused on mundane tasks. He always blamed his frustrations on school, but is now ready to consider that he has some responsibility in how he behaves, as well. I concur.

We unanimously reply, "Yes."

As a holistic health practitioner, I believe that the services I offer are a complement to conventional medicine. I do not describe myself as someone who offers an alternative option to getting one's health back on track. I am fascinated by science and the advancements it's made and continues to make in terms of providing us healthier, longer lives. There is still a great need for surgeons, obstetricians, oncologists, scientists, doctors, and nurses who work hard in medical centers, research facilities, and hospitals. I am not pro natural remedies and against pharmaceutical medicines. There is a need and there is room for both of these. And when I have felt strongly that medical intervention and the use of prescription medicine is the best answer, then, of course I have supported and used these, both with myself and my sons. I believe it's also a personal choice, and education is important in making these decisions. It's vital to consider the side effects, the duration of time they take to become effective, and the state of one's physical constitution before making a sound choice. I also believe that when one makes the decision to use a pharmaceutical drug to treat a condition, it's also vitally important that the person supports his or her system with a healthy diet and a moderate amount of exercise. And in terms of treating a mental health issue, I think it's also equally important to add therapeutic support, either with group or individual counselling from a psychologist, psychiatrist, or a social worker. In my work, I have witnessed those who are in what appear to be mild, moderate, or acute states of anxiety and/or depression. They come to me with the diagnosis, from a doctor, many asking if there is a natural method which they can use to cope with their mental state. All of them have been offered a medication for treatment, but some are not sure if they want to proceed, while others have taken pharmaceuticals in the past, and are looking for a different method to reduce their malaise. Ethically-speaking, I am not in a position in my work to advise a client whether or not they should take what a doctor has prescribed to them, and I am clear with them about this. I also believe that when one is in a state of severe emotional crisis, one where daily functioning is paralysed or inadequate, that the prescribed medication is the wisest option for stabilizing them in the moment. A healthy diet, exercise, and a good counsellor should still be considered, to make the client feel they have some control over their condition. This approach may perhaps aid them in eventually managing their mental health, without the use of a pharmaceutical drug. I can provide the information only, and the choice ultimately is with the individual. There is room for both conventional and holistic or natural medicines, and value in both. When handled responsibly, both of these options can be of great benefit to those who are unwell and looking to make a choice that feels the best fit for them.