Untitled Part 19

I stuck my nose in a book for a couple of minutes and was on the last page before Layne said

"whaaaatcha reeeading?"

"The Outsiders. do you like to read?"

"I've read that book before, I love it! oh, and by the way, the whole-"

I cover his mouth and say

"don't tell me!!! Spoils make me boil!!"

"I'm sorry. but do you have any reading recommendations?"

"ummm, I don't know. Mayb-"

"why don't we do that thing where you reccomend your favorite  book to me and I'll do the same for you? It would be so cool!!"

"yeah!!! that'll be awesome!!"

"what book would you want me to read?"

I grabbed him by the wrist and pulled him to the bookshelves. nothing caught my eye. 

"I know where all the good books are. Do you want my to show you?"

"of course!!but where are they?"

it was then his turn to grab my wrist, only this time he grabbed my hand. he took me to a door which said

"librarian only. No students allowed"

I looked at Layne and he said

"it's fine. I go in here all the time when nobody's looking. this is where she keeps all the good books."

he opened the door for me while flipping on the lights. I was astonished by the books before my eyes. there were bookcases among bookcases filled up. I walked around and found a small flight of stairs and walked (more like hooped) up them to find a good book. Everything looked almost 80 years old. On book caught my eye and I pulled it out. It looked like a journal or diary. when I opened it, the pages were blank.

"there's one magical thing about this library."

"all these stories were written about the librarian's life."

"so she creates her own story?"

"pretty much. keep that one." he said, pointing to the book I had in my hands.

"why?"

"that's you book."

"but the pages are empty."

"that's the point. you write your own story."

I finally understood what he was trying to tell me.