Kill Me Now

Emma's POV

"But, Mom, you were supposed to be back already,"
I whined. We'd been FaceTiming, having a nice, happy conversation until she dropped this on me. "How much longer is your business trip being extended to?"

"Okay, don't freak...but it could be 3 more weeks," she reluctantly told me.

Was she serious right now? This was the longest she'd ever been gone. I was losing my fucking mind here alone with Walsh. He was a total butthead. At least when Mom was around I had a buffer from all his boring court case stories and his moronic obsession with hockey.

What was so interesting about a bunch of meathead jocks chasing a little black puck around ice? It was like watching the seagulls from Finding Nemo.

"But why?" I demanded. "You've already been gone for almost a whole month. You've never been gone longer than two weeks."

"I know baby, I'm so sorry," she apologized. "It's just that we are having a hell of a time closing this deal. But I promise after this I'll slow down."

"You always say that," I shook my head. "When you get back you'll only be home for a month and then you'll be off on another business trip. Same old same old."

"Emma, I know you are mad, and you have every right to be," she sighed. "But I promise when I get back we can do whatever you want."

"The only thing I want is for my mom to not always be off on business trip after business trip," I whispered pleadingly. "Guess that's too much to ask for. I'll let you go, you probably have more important things to do than talk to me."

"Emma, don't get that way. Sweetheart please--" I clicked the end button before she could finish. The second her face was off the screen I let the tears that I'd been holding in fall.

With not having a father and my mother always being gone, it felt I was raising myself. It seemed like Mom cared more about her job than she did about me. What did I have to do to get her attention? To make her see how much I missed her?

Principal Nolan warned me that he would have no choice but to call my mother if I continued my disrespectful behavior towards Mr. Jones.

But honestly, if it meant Mom would come home and actually pay attention to me, I think I'd be okay with it. I was so desperate for her to be here that I didn't care if it was to discipline me.

Besides, if I spent one more day with Walsh I was going to scream. He was just so obnoxious. If it weren't for my friends, I would've already pulled all my hair out. Being able to hang out with them made this whole situation easier. I never thought I would have that, but I was glad I did.

It wasn't enough, though. I needed my mom. I buried my head in my pillow and continued to sob, not caring that I was probably getting mascara all over it.

* * *

Killian's POV

Emma showed up to class exactly ten minutes late, while I was in the middle of explaining what imperialism was to the class. I was about to give her the riot act, when I noticed her demeanor was different than usual.

Her eyes were red and puffy around the edges, and she had dark circles underneath them. Had she been up all night crying? She looked as if something was bothering her. Did something bad happen to her? Perhaps a fight with her parents? Or a bad breakup with her boyfriend?