Blast From The Past

Killian's POV 

I strutted into school Monday morning with a pep in my step, and a big shit eating grin to go along with it. I had a lot to be smiling about these days. Life was good.

My gorgeous girlfriend was infectiously joyful, which of course meant I was happy as a clam.

Seeing the buoyant attitude she received from finally being rid of that scum Walsh and having her real father in her life warmed my heart. I felt like a heavy weight had been lifted off my shoulders that Emma's dad turned out to be a good, kind man, and nothing like the hateful bastard I'd been cursed with.

After Emma had discovered who David really was, the two of them had been spending every waking moment together. And even though I'll admit it had sucked only being able to see Emma during school hours, the reason for our unwanted space apart had been well worth it. If it meant Emma was able to bond with her father, I would suffer through and patiently wait for her to come back to me a thousand times over again.

But ever since last week when she came to my classroom for a surprise and very pleasant visit, we were now back on track. Every other weekend Emma would pretend to be sleeping over at one of her friends' houses as a coverup to stay with me. We'd decided against it being every weekend for fear of arousing suspicion.

And every weekday Emma would stay behind after last period to help me grade papers, and then the two of us  would drive to my apartment. In separate vehicles, of course. We would chat and munch on snacks while binging on Netflix for a few hours until she'd have to retire home.

Us also being back in the groove with the physical aspect of our relationship was another cause for my chipper mood. After two years of being heartbroken and celibate, when Emma and I had consummated our relationship, it made me feel like a giddy schoolboy losing his virginity. And that feeling hadn't subsided.

Emma and I sneaking around like a pair of lovestruck teenagers was exhilarating, and gave me a rush of excitement I never experienced during my adolescence. Emma made me feel young again and want to indulge in all the acts of rebellion I missed out on at her age.

During high school, I had been far from devilishly handsome or suave in any way. I was a four-eyed dork who was dedicated to academics and being a straight A student. I wasn't considered one of the popular kids, so of course I was never invited to a single party, nor did I attend one. Not until college.

The summer before my freshman year, I switched out the black rim glasses for contacts, and the sweater vests for leather jackets. That's when I finally became a hit with the ladies, and for the first time in my life, envied by all of my male peers.

Part of me wondered what it'd be like if I was a fellow student of Emma's instead of her teacher. Would she be interested in the nerdy loser, much less give me a second look? Or would she ignore my presence and act as though I didn't exists like the actual girls I went to high school with had?

No, Emma wouldn't be like that, or treat me cruelly like some lasses in my grade had by refusing to be less than five feet away from where I stood because they were fearful of being infected with my loser disease. Weren't kids the greatest?

The only thing that had seriously changed about me in the last eight years was how I presented myself in appearance. Underneath my apparently rugged and handsome features, I was still shy and quite dorky more times than not. And Emma was not at all shallow enough to be with me just out of mere looks alone. She fell in love with me for me, who I was on the inside.

Emma wasn't self-absorbed for those to be her true intentions with me, but Milah sure as hell had been.

For example, one time when I had run out of contacts and had to temporarily go back to my glasses, she refused to be seen out in public with me. I'd be here all day listing similar situations in which Milah had put maintaining her social status above treating me with the respect and kindness any human being deserved.