Moving Forward

I am so sorry I'm taking longer and longer to update, but as I explained before I've got loads going on right now and having writer's block hasn't helped matters any. Thank you for being such loyal and patient readers, and bearing with me. Without further ado, here's the next chapter!

Emma's POV

In the three weeks following the emotional and joyous reunion I shared with my father a lot of events took place. And I do mean a lot. I hadn't been the only one my mother revealed her true motives behind marrying the devil himself. David had been fully informed before they came to find me.

And after I clued him on exactly what else Walsh was capable of besides blackmail, saying he was enraged would have been a humongous understatement. His reaction was a near mirror reflection of Killian's. He took my mom and me by the hand and marched us straight down to the sheriff's station. He demanded the sheriff to stop stuffing his face with cheap, processed shit donuts and go arrest the son of a bitch who tried putting his filthy hands on his daughter. Those were his exact words.

And when the sheriff's eyes bugged out from David referring to me as his daughter, instead of heeding his loudly spoken request, David threatened to have his badge if he didn't stop looking like a fish with his gaped mouth and do his damn job. My mom and I had to tell him to calm down several times—to no prevail—before he got his ass thrown in jail for calling the sheriff a brainless oaf. Or make himself pass out from yelling so much, his face was the same shade of red as a tomato.

Clearly the sheriff was a father and understood the primal need to protect your child because he surprisingly didn't arrest David. They must've been friends, too, since he didn't seem to take offense to being called a moron either. Instead, he rounded up his deputy and the two of them zoomed over to our house in the only cruiser the department owned.

The sheriff instructed us, specifically David, to get out of here because we weren't allowed to be within the same vicinity as the suspect when they brought Walsh in for questioning. The sheriff could see it in David's vengeful eyes that if he came face to face with Walsh, one of them would be sentenced to prison, and the other would be escorted to the morgue. And my father wouldn't be the one cold and dead on a slab. David begrudgingly obeyed, stating that death was too merciful for the lowlife scum.

After picking up Walsh and interrogating him, the sheriff informed the three of us that Walsh claimed I'd made a pass at him, and when he turned me down I threatened to cry assault. I sure hadn't seen that one coming. You'd think he would attempt to be a little more creative, but I guess that was asking too much out of his pea-sized brain.   

The sheriff also revealed that in cases of he said she said, it was more difficult to put the perpetrator away than ones with real, substantial evidence. My parents and I feared that Walsh would be able to get off scot-free. That was until six teenage girls came forward accusing Walsh of pulling the exact same stunt with them after the local news announced what he was being investigated for.

The judge on the case denied Walsh bail, and arranged for him to be put on trial. Me having to possibly testify was our next hurtle. My mom and dad were greatly concerned about me having to face Walsh again, even if he was unable to have any sort of contact with me. Though, that wasn't my reason for being opposed to take the stand.

Everyone around town and at school were treating me differently. When they weren't staring at me with dumbstruck expressions, they walked on eggshells in my presence. They treated me as if I was a fragile glass figurine that would shatter into a million pieces at the tiniest remark.