Infectious

Emma's POV

I pulled up to the library, gathered my textbooks and hurried inside. Mr. Jones was waiting for me in the corner table he had been at yesterday. I walked over and quietly cleared my throat.

His head snapped up towards me and my jaw almost dropped to the floor when he grinned at me. Was he ill?

"Hi, Mr. Jones," I gave him a small, awkward smile as I sat down.

"Hello, Emma," he greeted politely. "So, how was your day?"

"Pretty good," I answered, still taken off guard by his good mood. "How was yours?"

"It was alright, nothing too exciting," he shrugged as he took a swig of his coffee. "Did you finish the reading assignment we started working on last night?"

"Yep. All several pages," I nodded as I took them out of my folder and handed them to him.

"Looking at it now, seven pages might've been a bit excessive," he admitted.

"It wasn't too hard, just time consuming." Was he dying or something? What the hell was going on with him?

"Well, I'm glad you didn't have much difficulty with it," he said. "Would you like to begin the homework I assigned in class?"

"Uh, yeah, sure," I mumbled as I cocked my head to the side and stared at him. "Is there something wrong with you?"

"I beg your pardon?" He asked, furrowing a brow.

"Are you sick or something?" I wondered.

"No, I feel healthy as a horse," he answered confused. "Why do you ask?"

"Maybe because you're being nice to me, and that's not something you usually do," I pointed out.

"You're being nice to me, and that's not something you've ever done before," he reminded.

"Nice try, I might be blonde, but I'm not that easily fooled," I smirked. "Quit dodging. Why are you being nice to me?"

"Look, Emma," he sighed. "I think it's fair to say that neither of us has been an innocent party in all of this squabbling. Both of us have been difficult, but I'm willing to try to put the past aside and play nice."

"What do you mean by play nice exactly?" I questioned. Mr. Jones was just full of surprises today. I hadn't been expecting him to wave the white flag so willingly. He was actually owning up to being a brute. Wow. Was I dreaming?

"I mean I'll ease up a little," he reluctantly sighed.

"Could you maybe ease up a lot?" I tried to persuade.

"Don't push it, Swan," he warned playfully. "So, if I ease up, will you give the same courtesy and cool it with the little attitude?"

"I suppose I could attempt to keep my sassiness to a minimal," I couldn't help but tease. "Just as long as you don't piss me off."

"Well, as long you don't piss me off either we should be good then," he smirked.

"You're not going to tell me to watch the language?" I questioned.

"I've tried before, it doesn't do any good," Mr. Jones shrugged. "You, my dear, curse like a sailor."

"I take that as a compliment," I giggled.

"Why am I not surprised?" He chuckled. I liked the sound of his laugh. I pulled out a pencil from my bag and started working on the first question of the homework. "You know, it sometimes makes it easier to understand the material if you read it out loud," he suggested.