4. Little Girl

(I'm ready for death)

   The dreary background of the desert was disturbed by a tall pink figure walking down the highway, a little girl holding onto its giant gloved hand. These two strangers walked silently, until the little blonde girl spoke.

"Lola, what exactly am I supposed to do once we find the thing we're looking for?" The six year old asked, looking up at her furry companion.

"You'll know once the time is right." The creature called Lola responded calmly. The girl groaned in impatience.

"But I wanna know!" She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Now Maya, you have to be tolerant of time. It's a lovely tool, if you learn how to wade through it." Lola scolded the frustrated child. Maya simply let out a long groan.

"How about we play a game?" The furry creature suggested.

"Oh, can we play the mind game?" Maya asked eagerly.

"Fine." Lola nodded, shutting their eyes.

Maya was a special child, in the way where she had the ability to read people's thoughts. Sometimes she had visions of the future, but only in dreams. That's why Lola traveled with the little girl. They protected her, as she could be used as a weapon. Maya could read anyone's mind at will, except for Lola's. Lola only opened up their thought for the one game that the little girl loved so much.

"What am I thinking about?" Lola questioned the child. She thought carefully for a few moments, before shouting out the answer.

"Hmmmm, a carnival! With cotton candy and carousel horses!" Maya answered.

"Well done." Lola nodded in approval, patting the little psychic's head.

"Now, try again."

Maya put on another face of concentration .

"Since when did you become British?" She giggled, causing Lola to tilt their head in confusion.

"What do you mean?" They asked.

"Well, you're thinking 'why the hell is there a little girl walking down the fucking highway?'"

Lola shushed the girl, looking around for any newcomers.

"Now you're thinking 'Mad Gear! Get your gun out! It coule be a trap!'" Maya imitated a British accent.

Four motorbikes were speeding down the highway, straight towards the little girl and her guardian. Maya's amusement turned into fear.

"Lola, who are they?"

A man with shock white hair lead the group, a grey and red mask over his eyes. Behind him was a boy with a brown aviator jacket on a blue bike. They were followed by a young girl with a red leather jacket and a man with a white bike helmet and very tight pants.

Lola and Maya stopped walking, waiting for the patrol to arrive. The boy with the brown jacket had a firm grasp on a gun, but put it away when he examined the little girl closely.

"Where are your parents?" The man with the white hair asked.

"Oh, I don't have parents, just Lola." Maya told them, turning to look at her furry companion.

The creature was gone, nowhere to be seen.

"I'm sorry, who?" The boy with the gun furrowed his brow.

"Oh, Lola does that sometimes. Don't worry." She smiled broadly. The group exchanged a look of confusion between them, before the white one spoke up.

"Continue with the patrol, I'll take her back to the Nest." He ordered as he hopped off of his white motorbike.

"Got it." The girl with very curly hair nodded before kicking her own bike off.

"Aren't nests for birds?" Maya questioned, putting her hands on her hips.

"You're funny, now get on." The man motioned to the seat of his bike. Maya pulled herself on, clinging onto the man's white jacket.

"Are you from England?" She asked. The man reared the engine of his bike.

"Great observation." He rolled his eyes.

"You smell like alcohol." Maya wrinkled her nose.

"Get used to it, kiddo." He shrugged.

"My name is Maya. I'm six." She informed the man as he flew down the road.

"My name's Val. I'm not six." He responded.

"You've gotta be at least seventeen."

Val chuckled quietly, shaking his head.

"I wish I was seventeen. Things were so much easier back then."

Maya rolled her eyes, growing bored of the man. She decided to pry a little more

"You're name's not actually Val. Why didn't you tell me that?" She questioned, causing Val to tense up.

"Val is my name." He stared directly at the road in front of him.

"No, it's not. It's-"

Val slammed the breaks on the bike.

"Listen, sweetheart. I don't know who you are, or what you know, but you will never call me anything but Val Velocity. That is the name I choose, and that is the only name anyone will know." He barked, hopping off of his bike.

Maya simply nodded, swinging her tiny legs off the seat of the bike.

"Alright, Val." She smiled, unfazed by his outburst.

"What are you?" He growled, trying to figure out the little girl in front of him.

Lola had warned Maya not to tell anyone that she was psychic, but she felt like it was okay to tell this guy.

After all, he was kinda funny.

"If I tell you, you have to promise not to tell anyone." She ordered.

"Fine." Val crossed his arms.

"Come closer." She beckoned him forward. He sighed, stepping towards Maya.

"Clooooser." She commanded until she was able to whisper in the man's ear.

"We are the only people for miles. Why do you need to whisper?" Val rolled his eyes.

"Because I said so, now be quiet." She shushed him.

"Alright, so tell me who you are." Val cooperated reluctantly. Maya leaned in close, cupping her pudgy hands around his ear.

"I'm psychic." She whispered urgently. Val stepped back, bending over in laughter.

"Sure you are." He cackled.

"I am! I can prove it!" She whined.

"Humor me." He teased.

"You were born in downtown London, and you moved to Las Angeles when you were 16 to try and find a music career. But you gave up on it." Maya explained.

"Anybody can get that information." Val retorted, so she continued.

"You had a cat named Valerie, but she got run over by a car. Your dad died of alcohol poisoning when you were seven, and your mom was an artist."

Val pursed his lips, unsure of what to respond with.

"Who's Atomic?" Maya tilted her head curiously.

"That's enough." He grimaced, hoping back on the bike. Maya was going to respond, but decided not to make her new friend angry.

"I'll take you back to the Nest, then we'll figure out what to do with you." Val informed the girl clinging onto his back.

"Okay." She smiled contently.

Lola would know to find her at the Nest.