2. A Paradise

"I'm telling you, Hammy. You know how much Saida hates people like them."

Ricki scolded his teammate in a hushed voice, hoping that me or none of my friends would hear.

Fortunately, I'm a light sleeper.

The rest of the Killjoys lay silent in their bunks, but my ears picked up the whispers of the four people in the front area.

"Want did you expect me to do? Leave them? They needed help!" Amsterdam protested, trying to keep a quiet voice.

"Help from what, exactly? What if people are following them? What if they're spies? I've had my fare share of spies. Nasty little creatures." Murdock spoke up.

"They seem nice enough. I don't think they mean any harm." Brandy shrugged.

"I just hope no body will know where they came from." Ricki sighed.

'What did we do wrong?'

I stared up at the low ceilings, trying to imagine what harm we could have caused these strangers. They didn't trust us in the slightest. I mean, who would trust a bunch of filthy outlaws standing in a desert? I didn't blame them, but I also didn't want them to believe that we would hurt them.

"Are you awake?" Party's sleepy voice asked from the bunk above me.

"Unfortunately." I responded, stretching my arms as I let out a small yawn.

"Wanna come up here?" He suggested.

"On my way." I grinned softly, trying not to make a noise as I hopped out of my tiny bed. Party scooted over as climbed to his top bunk.

"They think we're dangerous." I told him, curling into his body.

"Well, we are pretty dangerous, aren't we?" He wrapped his arms around my waist, resting his chin in the crook of my neck.

"Yeah, I suppose. I just don't want them to worry about us."

I had gotten so used to people being scared when they saw me. I didn't want these new strangers to feel the same.

"Give them time." Was all that Party responded with, and that was enough for me.

---

        "Wake up, we're making a pit stop." Amsterdam woke us, standing in the narrow strip of floor between the rows of bunks. I rubbed my eyes, Party still lying next to me.

"What time is it?" I asked groggily.

"Midnight." He told me. Ghoul let out a very loud groan as he tumbled out of his lower bunk.

"Why'd we stop?" He yawned deeply.

"Because I feel like you guys might want to see the lake."

At the mention of this lake, my attention perked up immediately, and so did those of the others.

"Those things still exist?" Jet's brown eyes widened. Brandy and Ricki let out a high-pitched giggle.

"Where would they go?" Brandy teased, pulling on an army green jacket as she stepped out of the bus. I rushed to pull my boots on, eager to see whatever was outside. 

"Whoa, don't go out there just yet." Amsterdam held me back.

"Why not?" I tilted my head in confusion.